Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what beers/beer styles are you chasing (in homebrew)  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: what beers/beer styles are you chasing (in homebrew)
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2023, 04:45:45 pm »
On pH here is one explanation about ending pH after fermentation:

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/qeh4iQVXXP/

Definitely in the 4's once finished.

Dry hopping raises pH, but I'm not sure if it would get up to 5.2.

This is from Draftmag.com
These are supposedly the pH ranges of finished beer. I’m not sure I care enough to venture into this rabbit hole.  pH aside and I believe it matters and is crucial for a good end result, if tastes good and you like it then that is good enough for me…I think! Maybe I will venture down that rabbit hole on my future beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porter: 3.5-5.5.
 :o

How does one explain this massive range?  I don’t think I’d believe the explanation anyway. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2023, 05:00:05 pm »

How does one explain this massive range?  I don’t think I’d believe the explanation anyway.
Agreed.  That graphic is wack. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2023, 07:50:36 pm »

large amounts of roasted malt significantly lowers the pH. im actually drinking a porter with 3lbs of roasted malt in it where i did not account for the pH drop and basically used a pale beer's mineral additions unthinkingly and it is distinctly verging on tart. its a major problem in it.

but yeah, i generally disagree with things like that say "wheat beers pH is X to Y" lol. absurd

also, i kind of realized just tonight that i am chasing information on oak/wood aged beer and it is by its nature a slower process of trial and error than most other beer styles. it's a long term project. got a likely ~10% beer coming up soon for oaking.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2023, 02:43:33 pm »
That table came from this article, which bounces around from mash to finished beer pH. It states beer pH is around 4. Don't put any faith to it.

https://draftmag.com/ph-of-beer/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2023, 07:56:17 am »
I am really happy with my Belgian Quad.  It was the first time I ever brewed it and nailed it.  Won a gold medal with it and had it brewed at a local brewery in Akron before I left for FL in January.

Next big adventure is to make a Belgian Pale Ale.  Will be writing the recipe for it soon right after I get my core beers brewed again (had to take a hiatus after some medical issues).  My wife has been begging me to brew her favorite IPA that features Amarillo hops which I will be doing on Saturday.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2023, 07:46:54 am »
That table came from this article, which bounces around from mash to finished beer pH. It states beer pH is around 4. Don't put any faith to it.

https://draftmag.com/ph-of-beer/

The table is flawed mostly because it goes by style and not by yeast strain. Some Kolsch yeasts can drop pH to 3.9. English strains can vary a lot, from 4. to 4.5. Chico strains land a little high, dry hopping can drive up pH as high as 4.6 and even 4.7 with aggressive dry hopping. Lager yeasts are mostly uniform @ 4.2-4.4.

It's good to get to know where each strain lands so you can target a finish pH. I don't like the higher pH strains, especially when dry hopping because the beer can fall a little flat with a higher pH (flabby). The lower pH also gives the beer a smoother bitterness.