Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle  (Read 4434 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle
« on: April 22, 2020, 11:57:39 am »
It’s become popular for characters in TV and movies to drink craft beer. It always bothers me how drinking craft beer is portrayed. The actors and actresses tend to leave the beer in the bottle and swig it hap hazardously in short bursts. They hold the bottle near the mouth, jerk the bottle up to the mouth, take a quick sip, and jerk it back down very quickly. You can hear the beer being jerked around in the process. In other words, they don’t seem to be enjoying the beer. They drink it more like a college frat boy might.

If there are any movie directors, actors or actresses reading this, here are some tips for a better portrayal of drinking craft beer.

1. pour the beer in a glass.
2. let it breathe.
3. smell it. breathe in through the nose while taking a sip.
4. drink it slowly to savor the flavors.
5. enjoy the beer.

narvin

Re: Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 12:08:25 pm »
Craft beer still comes in bottles?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:51:11 am »
I agree with tommymorris - they say we taste with our noses; that most of what we perceive as being a flavor on our pallets is actually a sensation that began with our sense of smell and the aroma of what is being introduced into our mouth.

My son, who is also a craft beer nut, has no issue enjoying a beer from the bottle, or can as it were.  I, however, insist he drink any of my craft beers from a glass and to drink it any other way will be cause of him getting kicked off my will!  ;)

I think there should be a law about drinking a craft beer from anything else but a glass!  I also think the newly introduced can thing is not only a cost saving measure, it also caters to the folks who don’t have the ambition to dirty a glass.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:52 am »
I agree beer should be enjoyed in a glass or mug.  Keep in mind, the entertainment industry is trying to appear hip and in sync with the times.  Just seeing a glass of beer doesn't show how hip they are.

In the industry, cans offer several advantages over bottles.  Cost, weight, better storage like due to no possibility of getting light struck and the what I always thought the best reason was it gives you access to the fisherman market.  Glass isn't allowed in state parks (in Iowa at least).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 05:35:40 am »
They hold the bottle near the mouth, jerk the bottle up to the mouth, take a quick sip, and jerk it back down very quickly. You can hear the beer being jerked around in the process. In other words, they don’t seem to be enjoying the beer.

Well that's because it's not actual beer....

Although there's definitely some actors who take a Method approach to alcohol consumption on screen!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:16:01 am »
Wait a minute....are you telling me that movies aren't real?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 09:36:50 am »

I always pour my Heady Topper into a glass. I’m convinced that whole “Drink from the can” business is just a clever way of hiding how hideous the beer is.

Tastes pretty darn good though.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:01:14 am »

I always pour my Heady Topper into a glass. I’m convinced that whole “Drink from the can” business is just a clever way of hiding how hideous the beer is.

Tastes pretty darn good though.

I see it as more of a statement....hipster old school style.  Either way, I use a glass too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 06:42:05 am »
Yesterday, I purchased — via drive-up — a Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout brewed by my local brewery. After aging for 15 months, the beer was loaded with a mix of Bramble Berries, Raspberries and Blackberries, then rested on Madagascar Vanilla beans.  The stout was sold in cans, but you can bet that beer will be enjoyed today from a glass!

I think cans are a cheep way of getting beer into the hands of the consumer.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 07:14:00 am »
Yesterday, I purchased — via drive-up — a Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout brewed by my local brewery. After aging for 15 months, the beer was loaded with a mix of Bramble Berries, Raspberries and Blackberries, then rested on Madagascar Vanilla beans.  The stout was sold in cans, but you can bet that beer will be enjoyed today from a glass!

Also a good way to preserve flavor and aroma in hoppy beers. It’s no coincidence that the hazy beer wave has been concurrent with a resurgence of craft beer in cans.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 06:09:25 am »

Also a good way to preserve flavor and aroma in hoppy beers. It’s no coincidence that the hazy beer wave has been concurrent with a resurgence of craft beer in cans.

That’s an interesting observation, BM.  I never considered it, but you might be on to something.  I made an assumption that hazy beers were packaged in cans because - as I said - it’s cheep.  You’re suggesting a can preserves flavor and aroma.  Help me to understand that.  How would an aluminum can help preserve flavor and aroma?
Joliet, IL

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:32:32 am »
   Significantly less O2 exposure/uptake with canning than bottling, generally speaking that is.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »
I could be wrong here... But
It seems to me the oxygen exposure with bottling would be about the same as canning. I believe as far as the quality of the beer in the package it's more about light exposure - preventing light-struck beer "skunking" by canning, which eliminates 100% of light, which can't be achieved even with a brown bottle. From a vendor's standpoint though is the equally important factor of cost - bottles weigh significantly more than cans and shipping a truck load of cans costs the seller less than shipping the same liquid volume in bottles.

If someone can give more information on how it is that there's more chance for dissolved oxygen with bottling versus canning I'd be interested in that explanation.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 01:51:17 pm »
Wait a minute....are you telling me that movies aren't real?

lol this. watching people get so emotionally involved and opinionated from watching films based on a historical time and place, i really feel the need to say to them "You know that this isn't real right?"

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 04:56:41 am »
Great recent example :
https://twitter.com/BoakandBailey/status/1259569685881913348
"Watching a very good episode of ‘Life on Mars’ set in a pub but THE PUMPCLIPS ARE WRONG FOR 1973 and also WRONG FOR MANCHESTER. Why must we be like this?"

(and I completely agree with B&B on this, it's as jarring as having a 1990s car in a show that is set in 1973. Although to be fair on Life on Mars, and without wanting to get too much into spoilers, the nature of its time-travelling thing means that some of the historical anachronisms are deliberate.

There's no excuse for having the wrong brewery for an area though.