Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle  (Read 4436 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 02:58:53 pm »
3. Be respectful of the questions and comments of others. It is OK to disagree with someone, but do so with respect. Keep the AHA forum friendly and encouraging of everyone's participation. We will not tolerate rudeness, insults, personal attacks, inflammatory remarks, threats, racial/ethnic slurs, trolling, flame baiting or similarly disruptive postings.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 03:40:58 pm »
Sorry, I didn't have the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.

Here is an even more in depth look at said gas laws, that are on my blog. But hey, what do I know.

Bottle Cap ingress
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/bottle-cap-oxygen-ingress-real/

CO2 purity
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/carbon-dioxide-purity/

Purging
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/kegging-care-guide-purging-transferring-stabilizing-finished-beer/

Serving
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/

Despite the tone, I learned something. Thx for posting the links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 12:02:54 am »
Despite the tone, I learned something. Thx for posting the links.

Yeah, but you know - tone matters a lot.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 06:03:16 am »
I am curious how temperature works to keep beer fresher longer and if it effects the pressure. It’s not like most foods that are refrigerated to slow microbe growth. Is it that the temperature effects the psi inside, outside, or both? Or is this not related.
A chance to answer a possibility dumb question respectfully.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

narvin

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 06:10:42 am »
Sorry, I didn't have the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.

Here is an even more in depth look at said gas laws, that are on my blog. But hey, what do I know.

Bottle Cap ingress
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/bottle-cap-oxygen-ingress-real/

CO2 purity
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/carbon-dioxide-purity/

Purging
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/kegging-care-guide-purging-transferring-stabilizing-finished-beer/

Serving
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/

These are great links.  May I constructively suggest you present them sooner next time?   ;)

The one on CO2 purity and spunding, and the links to the hach blog, were fascinating.  That was what convinced me to try spunding.  A bottle cap is going to have more oxygen permeability than a keg but as long as you're priming it you still are getting most of the benefits of natural carbonation.

Offline BrewBama

Swigging Craft Beer from the Bottle
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 06:45:41 am »

Yeah, but you know - tone matters a lot.

True. That’s what turned off so many once the original low O2 paper burst upon the scene. Delivery.

These are great links.  May I constructively suggest you present them sooner next time?   ;)

I agree. It might have actually saved time. ...as well as lowered the tone.

I am curious how temperature works to keep beer fresher longer ...

Dr Charlie Bamforth said the two most important things you can do for your beer is to reduce O2 intake and keep it cold post fermentation.  There are several podcasts where he described the issue. ...and he wrote a book on the subject.

Reader’s Digest: He says keeping beer cold reduces the impact of oxidation.

Three things that will help lock in brewery freshness: low oxygen levels, low temperatures and fast turnaround times from brewery to glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:57:39 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 07:00:23 am »
I am curious how temperature works to keep beer fresher longer and if it effects the pressure. It’s not like most foods that are refrigerated to slow microbe growth. Is it that the temperature effects the psi inside, outside, or both? Or is this not related.
Temperature affects the kinetic energy (i.e., speed of motion) of molecules. It plays a huge role in determining pressure. So it will affect the psi on both the inside and outside as you asked.

To describe the impact specific to cap ingress for the visually inclined, imagine that oxygen molecules are moving around like dudes in a giant mosh pit. Picture the cap seal being a fence between two mosh pits, with small gaps that someone could slip through if they hit it just right. On the mosh pit on the inside, there are only a few dudes. On the mosh pit on the outside there are a whole bunch of dudes. Over time, a lot more of the dudes from the outside are going to hit the gap in the fence just right and end up on the inside, than the dudes on the inside are going to end up on the outside. This is how we end up with a net O2 ingress through the cap and increasing the concentration in the beer.

Temperature sets the speed of the mosh. Fast temps are like a mosh pit at a Slayer show, slow temps are like a ballad. They'll still get through during a ballad due to the sheer numbers, but it won't happen as fast as during "Angel of Death".

The math gets more complicated if the temperature isn't the same on the inside and outside, but it's too early on a Sunday morning for that  ;D The analogy would still hold, though. Think Slayer on one side of the fence and ballad on the other to get a visual.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 07:09:03 am »
The speed of molecules moving makes sense, thinking ice vs steam..
Nice mosh pit analogy Eric.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 07:12:18 am »
Temperature affects the kinetic energy (i.e., speed of motion) of molecules. It plays a huge role in determining pressure. So it will affect the psi on both the inside and outside as you asked.

To describe the impact specific to cap ingress for the visually inclined, imagine that oxygen molecules are moving around like dudes in a giant mosh pit. Picture the cap seal being a fence between two mosh pits, with small gaps that someone could slip through if they hit it just right. On the mosh pit on the inside, there are only a few dudes. On the mosh pit on the outside there are a whole bunch of dudes. Over time, a lot more of the dudes from the outside are going to hit the gap in the fence just right and end up on the inside, than the dudes on the inside are going to end up on the outside. This is how we end up with a net O2 ingress through the cap and increasing the concentration in the beer.

Temperature sets the speed of the mosh. Fast temps are like a mosh pit at a Slayer show, slow temps are like a ballad. They'll still get through during a ballad due to the sheer numbers, but it won't happen as fast as during "Angel of Death".

The math gets more complicated if the temperature isn't the same on the inside and outside, but it's too early on a Sunday morning for that  ;D The analogy would still hold, though. Think Slayer on one side of the fence and ballad on the other to get a visual.

Fantastic analogy! Thank you! 👍🏼
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 07:24:20 am »
You cats are funny.   I literally answered the question shortly,  succinctly and jovial, the first post.  Then I got backhanded comments.  So I use one and I’m the bad guy, but I get it.  It’s ya’lls echo chamber. 

The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2020, 08:12:32 am »
You cats are funny.   I literally answered the question shortly,  succinctly and jovial, the first post.  Then I got backhanded comments.  So I use one and I’m the bad guy, but I get it.  It’s ya’lls echo chamber. 

The following is my personal opinion and is no reflection on the AHA, it’s parent organization, or it’s sponsors:

It’s hilarious you think this is an echo chamber. There is plenty of dissent here. You on the other hand operate the biggest brewing echo chamber I’ve ever seen. There are no dissenting opinions at your place and I even brought up the ‘group think’ of your site and was pounced on by your groupies. What a joke.

I figure that’s why you’ve been coming here again lately. No one will question you there so you have to come here for your daily ration of dissent.

Actually, I brought your ‘go find it yourself’ answers to questions to your attention in your own echo chamber as well.  After posting expletives (like F off), deleting it, posting a little less direct answer (like no one asked you to come here), deleting, and settling on a “that’s how it is here” answer, you finally told me to quit commenting because I was stating a position contrary to yours. I even brought it to your attention that I’m not the only one who feels that way. You didn’t seem to care.  It’s your world my friend. We’re all just living in it. So, I took your advise and left your echo chamber.

Like I said then: all folks want are simple answers to simple questions without having to wade thru volumes of scientific information the folks have to go find themselves.  ...just like you did above. It sucked when I brought it to your attention then and it still sucks.

Too bad, too. You’re a smart guy with a lot of helpful information. But like I’ve told you before: you need a PR guy.

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 08:17:11 am »

The following is my personal opinion and is no reflection on the AHA, it’s parent organization, or it’s sponsors:

It’s hilarious you think this is an echo chamber. There is plenty of dissent here. You on the other hand operate the biggest brewing echo chamber I’ve ever seen. There are no dissenting opinions at your place and I even brought up the ‘group think’ of your site and was pounced on by your groupies. What a joke.

I figure that’s why you’ve been coming here again lately. No one will question you there so you have to come here for your daily ration of dissent.

Actually, I brought your ‘go find it yourself’ answers to questions to your attention in your own echo chamber as well.  After posting expletives (like F off), deleting it, posting a little less direct answer (like no one asked you to come here), deleting, and settling on a “that’s how it is here” answer, you finally told me to quit commenting because I was stating a position contrary to yours. I even brought it to your attention that I’m not the only one who feels that way. You didn’t seem to care.  It’s your world my friend. We’re all just living in it. So, I took your advise and left your echo chamber.

Like I said then: all folks want are simple answers to simple questions without having to wade thru volumes of scientific information the folks have to go find themselves.  ...just like you did above. It sucked when I brought it to your attention then and it still sucks.

Too bad, too. You’re a smart guy with a lot of helpful information. But like I’ve told you before: you need a PR guy.

Sounds like you got some things to work though, as I have no idea what you are talking about.   I hope you figure it all out. 

Youtube Channel

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2020, 08:47:00 am »

You sir, need to look into how not to be a dick on the internet... PSYCHOLOGY!!! </jovial>

LMGTFY:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+not+be+a+dick+on+the+internet&oq=how+to+not+be+a+dick+on+the+internet&aqs=chrome..69i57.14059j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

But seriously, if you're autistic and are incapable of understanding the basics of social interaction, I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2020, 08:53:06 am »
A three page, meant to be helpful, rant reduced down to this...

I know people are getting bored and stir crazy but let's keep this social and friendly.  We can disagree and still get along. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2020, 09:05:29 am »

You sir, need to look into how not to be a dick on the internet... PSYCHOLOGY!!! </jovial>

LMGTFY:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+not+be+a+dick+on+the+internet&oq=how+to+not+be+a+dick+on+the+internet&aqs=chrome..69i57.14059j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

But seriously, if you're autistic and are incapable of understanding the basics of social interaction, I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So in turn you be a D on the internet?  Sounds like what a person in a confirmation biased echo chamber would say! ;D ;D
Dats what I'm talking bout, dawg.

Anyways I'm over it, it is what it is, lets move on. Must be the 'rona.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:14:21 am by Die Beerery »
Youtube Channel