Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drink your beer fresh. Stop aging... Prove me wrong  (Read 4525 times)

Big Monk

Re: Drink your beer fresh. Stop aging... Prove me wrong
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2020, 11:18:09 am »
Amazing what an excellent marketing department can do isn’t it.

When I drink AB I don’t say, man this beer tastes so consistent. ....or man, I’m glad I have the best selling beer in the world in my hand. No... I say, man, this tastes like crap.  I could care less how consistent it is or how much they sell. To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it’s different for everyone. I also happen to live close enough to a Budweiser plant to see the steam stacks and I find the fresh local product refreshing.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Drink your beer fresh. Stop aging... Prove me wrong
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2020, 11:18:55 am »
  which is my point. Cheers!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:20:54 am by BrewBama »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2020, 11:23:25 am »
And this is my point...if lagering beer was a total waste of time, no one would do it.

The process of lagering might seem somewhat passive, but it helps to mature the beer. There are a couple of different fermentation by-products that can be reduced by yeast during this step. The most common are acetaldehyde, which tastes like green apples, fresh pumpkin, or latex paint, and is diacetyl, which contributes a buttery or butterscotch flavor and aroma. Both chemicals can be reduced by contact with yeast, and lagering gives the yeast cells some more time to do their job.

Anheuser-Busch’s famous beechwood aging is designed to increase the contact area between the yeast and the beer. They start with long chunks of beechwood, which they treat with baking soda to reduce the already mild flavor contribution of the wood. A-B stacks these pieces in the Budweiser lagering tanks, and then they kräusen the beer by adding fresh wort. The wood forms a substrate to collect yeast, increasing the yeast/beer interface, as compared to a thicker layer of yeast at the bottom of the tank.

The brewers at the major brewing companies must be a bunch of idiots, stuck in a time warp, and somehow thinking aging beer actually accomplishes beneficial effects.

Let me say again...it's your beer, you made it, you drink it when you like. That's what we do!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:26:17 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:51 pm »
I don’t turn down that “crap” at a barbecue. It’s all about perspective. The majority of beer drinkers take offense when snobs look down their noses at them.
Agreed.  It may not be my first choice but if I found myself at a friend's house and he handed me a bottle or can of macro swill, I would drink it with a smile on my face.  I have spoken with beer snobs who say that they would decline and drink water or soda instead.  Get TF over yourself.  I like beer enough to drink a mass-produced lager.  I would prefer not to be "that guy". 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2020, 12:27:35 pm »
I don’t turn down that “crap” at a barbecue. It’s all about perspective. The majority of beer drinkers take offense when snobs look down their noses at them.
Agreed.  It may not be my first choice but if I found myself at a friend's house and he handed me a bottle or can of macro swill, I would drink it with a smile on my face.  I have spoken with beer snobs who say that they would decline and drink water or soda instead.  Get TF over yourself.  I like beer enough to drink a mass-produced lager.  I would prefer not to be "that guy".

I am NOT a snob, but I do have tasted and preferences in food, clothing and yes, even beer.  I just don't care for most macros.  They are too sweet for my tastes. I prefer water. Before you label someone a beer snob because their tastes don't agree with yours, think about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2020, 12:57:21 pm »

I am NOT a snob, but I do have tasted and preferences in food, clothing and yes, even beer.  I just don't care for most macros.  They are too sweet for my tastes. I prefer water. Before you label someone a beer snob because their tastes don't agree with yours, think about it.
I might have to draw the line at some macro-swills but they would be few.  Maybe what I'm referring to is the posts I have seen from some people who make more of a show out of the fact that they're declining the beer that everyone else at the backyard BBQ is drinking... as if they're enjoying that image.  If someone were to see that the only beer at the party was Bimbleman's Light and they did not like that beer and just said, "Hey, you know what... I'm drinking water today" that would be different. 
Ken from Chicago. 

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 01:18:54 pm »

Example...my cousin drinks Bud Light. He does check the date, and only buys / drinks fresh beer. When I'm at his house, I drink Bud Light. No snob here!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2020, 01:28:59 pm »

I might have to draw the line at some macro-swills but they would be few.  Maybe what I'm referring to is the posts I have seen from some people who make more of a show out of the fact that they're declining the beer that everyone else at the backyard BBQ is drinking... as if they're enjoying that image.  If someone were to see that the only beer at the party was Bimbleman's Light and they did not like that beer and just said, "Hey, you know what... I'm drinking water today" that would be different.

You've hit the nail on the head....its judging what others are drinking vs. drinking what you like and skipping what you don't

www.dennybrew.com

Online BrewBama

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 01:31:55 pm »
To adopt a practice because a major player in a given field uses it is an appeal to authority.

“So and so does it and they are the best selling most consistent player in the world so I am going to do it, too.  I mean they wouldn’t do it for no reason.  Right?”

That is a logical fallacy. It’s a great marketing tool but has little to do with why you should do something. Do everything because it matters to you. Not because someone else does it.

As far as my taste in beer ...well, sorry if I offended anyone. If offered a Bud at a BBQ I would politely decline.  Not to offend or be snobby, but simply because I do not like it. I would likewise decline kale chips, humus dip, Lima beans, asparagus soup, etc, etc. I simply don’t like them.  They taste like crap to me.  I’m not looking down my nose at anyone.

However, I do like Brussel’s sprouts sautéed in butter sprinkled with bacon but by wife doesn’t. I don’t consider her ‘that guy’ or a ‘greens snob’ because she won’t eat them. She simply doesn’t like them and that’s OK.  I don’t get offended by it.

If doing one thing or the other to your beers matters to you then by all means have at it.  ...but don’t do it for the sole reason that someone else does it.

If it’s any conciliation, I like the Budweiser commercials and the Clydesdales.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:40:23 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2020, 01:37:07 pm »
There are some brands that simply don’t appeal to me, but if nothing else is available, I will nurse one through to be polite.  But when I can, of course, I bring homebrew!  Most people who know me come up and ask if I brought some and they know that I always share.

And I typically prefer my beers fresh - rarely making aging a priority, but with the exception of BDSA, Flanders Red (I have a Solera going that is over ten years in and going strong) for blending, and also barley wine and dopplebock.  Then there are the opposite end with some running beers that are kegged within a week of brewing and consumed a few days later upon carbonation being reached. 

Cheers for all who brew and enjoy the choices this hobby presents to us?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Big Monk

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:20 pm »
I feel mostly like we are being trolled lately. A lot of these “prove me wrong” posts on multiple forums.

I don’t know. I have no beef with anyone here. Like BrewBama said, drink straight out of the fermenter for all I care if that’s what you like.

I personally even forgot what the OP was on about at this point.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 03:00:27 pm »
I feel mostly like we are being trolled lately. A lot of these “prove me wrong” posts on multiple forums.

I don’t know. I have no beef with anyone here. Like BrewBama said, drink straight out of the fermenter for all I care if that’s what you like.

"Prove me wrong" sounds like an instant challenge followed with an "I dare you" chaser. 

Here's something:  People make their own beer for their own consumption in their own homes.  I know I mentioned this in another thread but let those people do what they do.  When they come onto a board and say that they're unhappy with their beer and would like advice on how to improve it, that's the time to provide some direction if you are able to contribute to the discussion.  Otherwise I agree... if you want to drink straight malt extract out of the can, have at it.  If you want to drink Nyquil, vanilla extract and hand sanitizer (if you can find it), have at it.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
I agree on the consensus that heavies come into their own w/ aging. That said, here is the last pair of  1994
Sam Adams triple bocks, A Yuletide one off.
While I last  sampled their now dead brothers in 2008.
At that time I can declare they were rich preponderous sippers, or the best fermented Jewish prune juice I ever tasted.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2020, 06:53:37 pm »

"Prove me wrong" sounds like an instant challenge followed with an "I dare you" chaser. 

Here's something:  People make their own beer for their own consumption in their own homes.  I know I mentioned this in another thread but let those people do what they do.  When they come onto a board and say that they're unhappy with their beer and would like advice on how to improve it, that's the time to provide some direction if you are able to contribute to the discussion.  Otherwise I agree... if you want to drink straight malt extract out of the can, have at it.  If you want to drink Nyquil, vanilla extract and hand sanitizer (if you can find it), have at it.   

My wife mixed me up a drink...Lysol, with a bleach chaser. Not bad.