Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A funny thing happened on the way to kegging nirvana. . .  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
A funny thing happened on the way to kegging nirvana. . .
« on: April 25, 2020, 07:12:03 am »
Just about the time I think I've got basic kegging figured out the coronavirus comes along and changes the ground rules. 

Bought the kegs and regulator late fall to get more consistent carbonation, get away from the hassles of bottling, and with the idea of occasionally contributing a full keg to my LHB club for several of the brewing promotions (the club donates beer to raise money for worthwhile causes) they have in our community each year.

Now with the virus there are of course no club activities or community brewing promotions.  In addition, with social distancing and all of my other outside activities curtailed, I've now moved in with my lady friend who doesn't have room for a keg in her fridge.  I'm still going to my house twice weekly to get the mail do spring garden chores, etc. and I will drink a couple of pints each time.

My plan going forward is to have only only one brew kegged at a time and bottle from the keg a few bottles at a time to supplement my trips for mail and chores.  Back to bottling on a limited basis .  .  . Rats!

But I'm fortunate that I'm retired and not worried about a job or having a business that is now facing financial hardship.  I have a daughter who is a nurse, and I feel for all those on the front lines -- nurses, nurses aids, doctors, emts, firefighters, policemen, meat packers, and so many more who face the virus daily-- and for those who are still waiting for that unemployment check or stimulus payment. Good luck to all.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A funny thing happened on the way to kegging nirvana. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:04:32 am »
What do you do when your CO2 tank runs empty and you can't go to the store to exchange it?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:23:00 am »
What do you do when your CO2 tank runs empty and you can't go to the store to exchange it?

Prime your keg to carb it, dispense with a charger and CO2 cartridges
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:49:04 am »
If you transfer your beer from fermenter to keg with a few points left, it will carbonate the beer.

If you transfer still beer from fermenter to keg, you can prime the keg with some type of sugar to get the residual yeast to carbonate the beer like you do in bottling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:49 pm »
[/quote
I get my CO2 from a welding supply store and if they're open I'll probably take a chance on getting a replacement.  They should be able to bring a tank to the door.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
[/quote
I get my CO2 from a welding supply store and if they're open I'll probably take a chance on getting a replacement.  They should be able to bring a tank to the door.
  I swapped a tank from our welding store Mon. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 03:33:19 pm »
The gas supply companies are essential businesses, so other than donning a mask and talking by phone rather than entering the store, it was business as usual for me - I had 3 tanks run out in the span of a week (crazy timing - not a leak!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"