Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lots of foam  (Read 932 times)

Offline Brian Krueger

• 1st Kit
Lots of foam
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:51:45 pm »
I just added new 10 foot beer lines to my kegerator. Now my foam is much worse. I only get a 1/2 stream of beer out of the tap. I’ve tried different pressure settings from 5 to 15 lbs. I’m getting about 3/4 foam in every pour. Even if pouring several glasses in a row. Can anyone help with my issue?  Is it typical to not get a full stream of beer from the tap after adding longer lines?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Lots of foam
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 05:48:28 pm »
Do you have a tower?  Sometimes if the tower is warm and the beer is cold you get foam.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Brian Krueger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:01:57 pm »
I do have a tower. If it was a warm tower and I pour multiple beers would they all be foamy?  Does the beer in the tower have to warm up or is the temperature difference between the beer and the tower what does it?  I didn’t have this of an issue with the shorter beer lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:57:20 pm »
When I upgraded to longer lines my flow did slow a little but my foam dropped also.  If you're still getting too much foam, my guess is your beer is over carbonated.  How did you carb?  I never got the hang of high pressure carbing. Set and forget method finally fixed my foam issues.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Brian Krueger

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:29:48 am »
I carbonated at 30 for two days. Then turned down. Been trying different serving levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 05:00:09 am »
Consider doing this- turn off your CO2 tank and vent the keg by pulling on your PRV on the keg.  Try tapping into a pitcher.  Reset your CO2 to your desired serving pressure before turning on your CO2 tank.

Edit: I also suggest turning off the CO2 tank when not serving beers after the above.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:01:46 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 05:25:12 am »
Consider doing this- turn off your CO2 tank and vent the keg by pulling on your PRV on the keg.  Try tapping into a pitcher.  Reset your CO2 to your desired serving pressure before turning on your CO2 tank.

Edit: I also suggest turning off the CO2 tank when not serving beers after the above.
+1. You may have high carbonation due to 48 hrs at 30 psi.  After decarbonating it as ynotbrusome describes, try either raising the psi for shorter burst, or lowering the psi (20-25?) for your 48 hrs.

CO2 Pressure   LOW/MODERATE   HIGH
30 psi                             16 hours   48 hours
35 psi                             14 hours   34 hours
40 psi                              12 hours   30 hours
45 psi                             10 hours   26 hours
50 psi                               8 hours   24 hours

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/12/sparkle-fizz-methods-for-carbonation/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk