Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transfers  (Read 1907 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Transfers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:45 am »
I have concerns about whether those are food grade and they would be introducing oxygen ingress.  There may be a way to purge with CO2, but seems to be problematic.  They make peristaltic pumps that might be a better solution?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:54:21 am »
I have concerns about whether those are food grade and they would be introducing oxygen ingress.  There may be a way to purge with CO2, but seems to be problematic.  They make peristaltic pumps that might be a better solution?

Yea, I had the same thoughts.
A small electric pump would work !
I only need to transfer 4 gallons of 80 degree wort to a fermenter.

Seeking specific recommendations, there is a plethora of pumps out there.

thanks

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:58:35 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:11:48 am »
How about a shop vac. Pull it into the fermenter. It’ll suck  the air out instead of pushing it in.

https://youtu.be/6oiuSs4yj-A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:24:12 am »
Racking cane and tubing for 22 years.  Never saw a need to make it more compilcated.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:14:02 am »
After seeing how simple it is to transfer to kegs without air contact, I started doing it and would never go back. It definitely helps reduce cold side oxidation and improves beer longevity and stability.  But that's for kegs.

If you're bottling and bottle conditioning, then the ability and the need to avoid air contact during packaging is lower. I could see that the OP's options are limited and any of the transfer tools should work. I have used that plastic siphon pump. But I have to admit that one of the happiest days of my brewing hobby was when I started kegging. Bottling sucks, but it's appropriate for long-lived beers.

Hopefully, no one is still transfering "to Secondary" anymore. That is one step that almost no brewer needs to do. But if you were, it would help to transfer without air contact. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:44 am »
How about a shop vac. Pull it into the fermenter. It’ll suck  the air out instead of pushing it in.

https://youtu.be/6oiuSs4yj-A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was a great video!! Going to try that on my 30 gallon barrel of wine sitting on the floor when its time to bottle.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:06:31 am »
Racking cane and tubing for 22 years.  Never saw a need to make it more compilcated.

How do you start your siphon ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:36:44 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 09:10:55 am »
After using a fermenter with a spigot, my replacements have had spigots. It's so much easier to draw a sample and transfer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Fire Rooster

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 09:38:20 am »
After using a fermenter with a spigot, my replacements have had spigots. It's so much easier to draw a sample and transfer.

My fermenter does, my boil kettle doesn't.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:28 am »
After seeing how simple it is to transfer to kegs without air contact, I started doing it and would never go back. It definitely helps reduce cold side oxidation and improves beer longevity and stability.  But that's for kegs.

If you're bottling and bottle conditioning, then the ability and the need to avoid air contact during packaging is lower. I could see that the OP's options are limited and any of the transfer tools should work. I have used that plastic siphon pump. But I have to admit that one of the happiest days of my brewing hobby was when I started kegging. Bottling sucks, but it's appropriate for long-lived beers.

Hopefully, no one is still transfering "to Secondary" anymore. That is one step that almost no brewer needs to do. But if you were, it would help to transfer without air contact.

The main PITA is the boil kettle to fermenter, I'm ok with bottling for now.
I no longer do a secondary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 09:44:08 am »

Thanks

Fill the racking cane and  tubing with water or sanitizer.  Close the tubing with a thumb or clamp.  Put the racking cane in the beer.  Open the tubing and run the liquid in it into a pitcher, then xfer the tubing to the bucket or keg. 

ETA: just realized this isn't your issue.  Sorry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:59 am »

Thanks

Fill the racking cane and  tubing with water or sanitizer.  Close the tubing with a thumb or clamp.  Put the racking cane in the beer.  Open the tubing and run the liquid in it into a pitcher, then xfer the tubing to the bucket or keg. 

ETA: just realized this isn't your issue.  Sorry.

Thanks.  I Don't get a fuzzy feeling about sticking the auto-syphon in
wort.  Inside the auto-syphon there's plenty of room for
critters to hide.  In my whole process it's the weakest link for possible contamination.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:34:13 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:23 pm »
You could switch to a stainless steel auto siphon.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 02:40:31 pm »
Sanitation is key with anything going into the finished beer.  I will use an autosiphon on my Big Mouth Bubbler, but after sanitizing it, I hook the tubing to the liquid out disconnect of a CO2 purged and charged corny keg - the CO2 pressure in the keg goes into the tubing, autosiphon racking cane and autosiphon outer tube to "purge" the line (at least somewhat - watch for the pressure to drop fully in the keg to equalization with the autosiphon in the headspace of the fermenter); then I dip it into the beer through the bung hole and pump once to start the siphon, also wrapping food grade plastic wrap around the lid opening and autosiphon interface.

Not absolutely as oxygen free as I might want, but it covers the situation where I am not fully closed loop (with my other fermenters where I can loop the CO2 from the keg back to the fermenter).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"