Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transfers  (Read 1896 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Transfers
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 02:41:36 am »
You could switch to a stainless steel auto siphon.

Never knew this existed, thanks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Transfers
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 07:39:58 am »
Sanitation is key with anything going into the finished beer.  I will use an autosiphon on my Big Mouth Bubbler, but after sanitizing it, I hook the tubing to the liquid out disconnect of a CO2 purged and charged corny keg - the CO2 pressure in the keg goes into the tubing, autosiphon racking cane and autosiphon outer tube to "purge" the line (at least somewhat - watch for the pressure to drop fully in the keg to equalization with the autosiphon in the headspace of the fermenter); then I dip it into the beer through the bung hole and pump once to start the siphon, also wrapping food grade plastic wrap around the lid opening and autosiphon interface.

Not absolutely as oxygen free as I might want, but it covers the situation where I am not fully closed loop (with my other fermenters where I can loop the CO2 from the keg back to the fermenter).

I used to do it this way when I used an autosyphon.  However, I use roughtly the same method when kegging from the fermenter.  Purge the transfer line and/or inline screen with CO2 from a purged and charged keg before starting the transfer.  Works well for me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified