Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inlet tube and outlet tube?  (Read 2148 times)

TXFlyGuy

Inlet tube and outlet tube?
« on: April 26, 2020, 10:00:11 am »
Question...we are kegging beer today (Yippee!).
But how about this, we want to swap out the outlet tube (the long one), for the inlet tube. We will use floating pick up tubes for the beer "out" side. But can we use the long tube on the CO2 side? Would this help with carbonation, letting the CO2 bubble up through the beer?

Bad idea? Good idea?

What say you?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Inlet tube and outlet tube?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:09:26 am »
Question...we are kegging beer today (Yippee!).
But how about this, we want to swap out the outlet tube (the long one), for the inlet tube. We will use floating pick up tubes for the beer "out" side. But can we use the long tube on the CO2 side? Would this help with carbonation, letting the CO2 bubble up through the beer?

Bad idea? Good idea?

What say you?

No need to swap the dip tube to the other side. Just swap out the ball lock gas connector with a liquid connector and carb away. Don't try and force carb too hard and fast, just set the CO2 to whatever volumes the beer style dictates and wait for a few days or week. I have carbed this way and it works well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
I have experimented with this many times.  It is no faster to carb through the liquid tube than the gas tube.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 10:38:49 am »
I have experimented with this many times.  It is no faster to carb through the liquid tube than the gas tube.

It would seem to me that it would take longer to reach the desired saturation by having the gas bear down on the liquid instead of percolating up through the liquid. Can you give us more insight on how you came to your conclusion?

Thanks Denny

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:39:23 am »
Thanks guys. We will experiment and see how it goes! Always learning something new...who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks (besides my wife)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 11:18:15 am »

It would seem to me that it would take longer to reach the desired saturation by having the gas bear down on the liquid instead of percolating up through the liquid. Can you give us more insight on how you came to your conclusion?

Thanks Denny

By direct comparison several times.  I have a 5 way CO2 manifold with flare connectors.  I unscrew one of the gas connectors and replace it with a beer connector.  I hook up 2 kegs of split batch at the same time.  Since they both come off the same regulator theyre obviously at the same pressure.  Then it's simply a mtter of comparing the beer from the 2 kegs at various times.  I have never found a difference.  Its one of those homebrewing things that seem like it should make a difference but doesn't.   At least, it never has for me in a dozen + trials.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:23 am »
Thanks guys. We will experiment and see how it goes! Always learning something new...who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks (besides my wife)?

Indeed.  Exactly what I said here....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/old-dognew-tricks

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 11:34:45 am »
Is there any potential drawback to having the short CO2 tube in the beer?  Thinking it best to leave the short tube to fill from the top of the beer, I usually fill my Keg to just below the tube.  I have considered cutting 1/2" off so I can squeeze in another glass of beer, but if it doesn't matter....

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 11:40:21 am »

Thanks Denny

By direct comparison several times.  I have a 5 way CO2 manifold with flare connectors.  I unscrew one of the gas connectors and replace it with a beer connector.  I hook up 2 kegs of split batch at the same time.  Since they both come off the same regulator theyre obviously at the same pressure.  Then it's simply a mtter of comparing the beer from the 2 kegs at various times.  I have never found a difference.  Its one of those homebrewing things that seem like it should make a difference but doesn't.   At least, it never has for me in a dozen + trials.

Well I can't argue with that!! Thanks for sharing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 12:00:23 pm »

Thanks Denny

Well I can't argue with that!! Thanks for sharing!

You bet!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »
The only thing that would likely make introducing the CO2 from the bottom would be using a carbonation stone. Without a fine stone, the bubbles would just pass through the beer and end up bearing on the top, just the same as introducing the CO2 to the head space..
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 04:04:07 pm »
Is there any potential drawback to having the short CO2 tube in the beer?  Thinking it best to leave the short tube to fill from the top of the beer, I usually fill my Keg to just below the tube.  I have considered cutting 1/2" off so I can squeeze in another glass of beer, but if it doesn't matter....
I cut my CO2 dip tube off flush with the housing. The only thing that dip tube does is keep the o-ring in place. I cut mine so I can empty the all sanitizer out when I purge the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »
I cut my CO2 dip tube off flush with the housing. The only thing that dip tube does is keep the o-ring in place. I cut mine so I can empty the all sanitizer out when I purge the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gracias.  I'll be giving mine a haircut next chance I get.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
An alternative to cutting the tube is stainless washers.  I have a couple kegs like that and they work just fine.

Don't recall the size.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:24 am »
You can slip a piece of vinyl tubing on a diptube if you need to extend it after it's been cut

www.dennybrew.com