Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Order of cleaning agents for kegs  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Order of cleaning agents for kegs
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:37:22 am »
If you wish to clean your liquid out lines with keg line cleaner, should the order be (1) PBW, draft line cleaner, then star san as final or  (2) PBW star san, and then draft line cleaner?  Thanks in advance for your advice?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Order of cleaning agents for kegs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:43:27 am »
I would do Star San last. You need to flush your lines when using Beer line cleaner.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:30:35 am »
Star San is a sanitizer, not a cleaner so it does no good to use it first. You cannot sanitize what isn't yet clean.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:54:10 am »
Although sanitizing beer lines is not a bad idea, I don't do it.  I use caustic (beer line cleaner, aka BLC, is the same thing) in hot water and pump it through the lines three times, letting it sit in the lines for about 5 minutes before pumping a fresh charge of caustic into them.  Caustic/BLC will kill anything organic and also eliminate the need to also use PBW.  Caustic and BLC contain sodium hydroxide and also have surfactant cleaners in it to remove any accumulated soils from the lines, making PBW redundant IMHO.  On every other cleaning, I take the faucets apart and clean the internal parts just to be safe.  The caustic does a really good job on them, but I like to inspect them occasionally for things like beer stone.  If I see that then I use an acid wash after the caustic cycle. Star San will work for that (because it is an acid) although a commercial acid cleaner (available from dairy supply stores) is much better.
I then flush the lines with hot water three times and am done.  I have never experienced an off flavor from using this method. It also saves me time and money.
That said, if you want to clean your lines in the way you mentioned, use the Star San last.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:58:19 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:04:11 am »
Cleaner always come before sanitizer. When I clean my lines I do PBW > flush > BLC > flush > Star San, although the PBW probably isn't needed with the BLC. Between kegs I just flush the lines with Star San.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 05:17:14 pm »
I just use hot water, BLC, hot water, Star San, beer after every keg. I feel like there are a lot of extra steps here. I clean the kegs separately, though. Water, PBW, water, Star San. I take apart the faucets after every keg, also.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:19:05 pm by allenhuerta »