Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Difficulty finding grain  (Read 1371 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Difficulty finding grain
« on: April 26, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »
Am I the only one having a difficult time locating Weyermanns Floor Malted Pilsner and Czech Saaz whole Hops?? I can't buy a #55 sack anywhere!!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Difficulty finding grain
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 07:20:32 pm »
More Beer has 10# bags but not a whole 55# sack. I’m not sure but if you have a 55# sack shipped you have to pay shipping. If you order 5 - 10# bags and a 5 # bag the shipping is free and all in is cheaper. Check me on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 07:32:25 pm »
More Beer has 10# bags but not a whole 55# sack. I’m not sure but if you have a 55# sack shipped you have to pay shipping. If you order 5 - 10# bags and a 5 # bag the shipping is free and all in is cheaper. Check me on this.

Will do! Thanks!!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:02:40 am »

Will do! Thanks!!

FYI, I just looked on More Beer's site for grain and shipping.  I recently ordered a 55# sack of Crisp Maris Otter ($69.95) and the cheapest shipping cost (FedEx) was $26.64 for a total of $96.59.  I also looked at 5, 10# bags  and 1, 5# bag of the malt using their money saver free shipping and the price was $99.44.  So it was cheaper to pay the almost $27 for shipping and get it all in one bag.
I am sure this will translate to the price points of the Wyerman's as well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:50:54 am »
   That depends on where you live, up until the end of last year it was quite a bit cheaper for me at least to buy bulk and the S&H costs for MB and Williams were comparable. Since about November though the rates have gone through the roof and it's now cheaper to buy 10# bags. Interestingly, MB's bulk rate is about 40% higher than Williams, even though their warehouses are within a few miles of each other and total shipping distance is essentially the same. I guess the upside is I don't need to worry any more about how to open the flipping bags or how to reuse or recycle them.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 06:30:13 am »
It must be a time sensitive and a location issue.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:43:15 am »

Will do! Thanks!!

Product is on the way! Exactly like you stated. Had to purchase 5-10# bags and also had to buy pellet Saaz because I couldn't find whole leaf anywhere.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 06:46:25 am »
When the 55# sacks are available I think I should stock up on 3 maybe 4 sacks. Saaz too! I don't mind using pellet at all but would prefer whole leaf for its wort filtering.

Offline tommymorris

Difficulty finding grain
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 06:55:29 am »
You can get Saaz bulk from Hop Heaven. They have great hops. https://www.ebay.com/str/hopheaveninc

I just bought 55 lbs of Best Malz Pilsner from my local brewery for $32. They have Weyermann for $1/lb., but I think it is the regular Pils malt not floor malted. Many breweries are selling ingredients during the social distancing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:58:02 am by tommymorris »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 08:00:45 am »
You can get Saaz bulk from Hop Heaven. They have great hops. https://www.ebay.com/str/hopheaveninc

I just bought 55 lbs of Best Malz Pilsner from my local brewery for $32. They have Weyermann for $1/lb., but I think it is the regular Pils malt not floor malted. Many breweries are selling ingredients during the social distancing.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I only use the floor malted from Weyermanns for my Czech Pilz. Hopefully the Saaz are Czech. I hope I didn't come across as a snob but if using only Weyermanns Floor Malted for her Czech Pilz is what Annie Johnson does, then at least with this beer, I will too. Also, I do like to compare my current Pilz with the last one and using the same ingredients, low pH water (AJ says 4.7 t0 4.9 as a mash pH) and processes helps me become a better brewer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »

Thanks, I'll take a look. I only use the floor malted from Weyermanns for my Czech Pilz. Hopefully the Saaz are Czech. I hope I didn't come across as a snob but if using only Weyermanns Floor Malted for her Czech Pilz is what Annie Johnson does, then at least with this beer, I will too. Also, I do like to compare my current Pilz with the last one and using the same ingredients, low pH water (AJ says 4.7 t0 4.9 as a mash pH) and processes helps me become a better brewer.
Not sure on the Saaz. He has American and German. The German are similar IBU to Czech but I guess German is not Czech. That said the owner Ted writes taste notes on most of the Ebay listings. I trust those. He is very accomplished brewer and hop aficionado.

Here is a link to the German Saaz hops.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Hops-Saaz-German-Hops-pellet-or-whole/173917421956
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:03:32 pm by tommymorris »