Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: toasted bread character?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
toasted bread character?
« on: February 27, 2020, 02:14:42 pm »
I like to keep my pilsners very simple, single malt, 2 hops. After many attempts to brew a good pilsner, i have finally gotten it close(not quite yet) to where i want it to be, but my "taste imagination" as Denny on beersmith podcast calls it, is calling for more of a bread crust, toasty character, unfortunately i do not have a home brew shop anywhere near me anymore, i can not taste grains before i buy, What are some specialty grain recommendations for toasted bread crust flavors that i can add a touch to the grist? Cheers
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: toasted bread character?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:29:06 pm »
Have you tried victory or biscuit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 02:34:05 pm »
Have you tried victory or biscuit?
nope never

Matty

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
Victory is Briess' biscuit style malt, lightly roasted to bring out the nutty, toasty, and biscuit flavors and aromas associated with baking bread. It's an excellent malt for adding a layer of dry toasted complexity and a russet brown color to a wide range of beer styles.

Biscuit malt is actually a type of roasted malt, but is roasted to a very light degree at around 25-30° Lovibond. Roasting temp is around 350°F, which puts it somewhere between a high-kilned malt like Munich malt, and a roasted malt like pale chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:30:37 pm »
I love Vienna malt.  Use it for 25-50% of your base malt... or even all the way up to 100% if you really want to know what toasty tastes like.

You can get similar but different results from using about 25% Munich malt instead, or in addition to the Vienna.  It's closer to burnt but not quite burnt toast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 05:47:56 pm »
I make my own "Victory like" biscuit type malt.  Take a pound of Vienna base malt and spread it thin on a cookie sheet.  Preheat a convection oven to 250 degrees.  Then place the cookie sheet into the oven with convection on, and remove it in exactly one hour.  It will be biscuit malt at that juncture.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:10:48 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:16:29 am »
Victory is Briess' biscuit style malt, lightly roasted to bring out the nutty, toasty, and biscuit flavors and aromas associated with baking bread. It's an excellent malt for adding a layer of dry toasted complexity and a russet brown color to a wide range of beer styles.

Biscuit malt is actually a type of roasted malt, but is roasted to a very light degree at around 25-30° Lovibond. Roasting temp is around 350°F, which puts it somewhere between a high-kilned malt like Munich malt, and a roasted malt like pale chocolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although I have used both and like both, I prefer biscuit malt over Victory.  To me the former has more of a biscuit-like character.  I use some in my ESB to add another dimension to the beer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 11:05:33 am »
Toasted bread flavor is due to Maillard reactions.

You might try the malts that have been suggested above. My suggestion would be Mellanoidin malt, extra dark Munich malts (40 EBC by Best or Durst), or caraAroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:05:43 pm »
Toasted bread flavor is due to Maillard reactions.

You might try the malts that have been suggested above. My suggestion would be Mellanoidin malt, extra dark Munich malts (40 EBC by Best or Durst), or caraAroma.

+1. I think Aromatic malt might also be an option.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 12:31:01 pm »
Thank you everyone for your advice, for my first run of finding the toast for the pils, i settled on going 75% german pils and 25% vienna, brewing this weekend , my #1 concern is keeping it light colored and crisp but cooked well done if that makes sense, again thanks yall
Matty

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 01:20:30 pm »
Hooray, Vienna!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline nick_a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 03:27:08 pm »
Hi, just hopping in because I haven't seen Melanoiden malt mentioned, and based on my limited understanding of things, it's what brewers use to approximate multiple decoctions for otherwise 100% pils malt grists.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 02:34:09 pm »
All good suggestions here for adding an additional flavor dimension to a pils brew or similar. I like biscuit malt for a bready crackery note and often incorporate it in my English ales and American IPAs (just personal taste on the IPAs, not sure how common that is). I have come to reject melanoidin malt but know many folks swear by it for imitating decoction or malt complexity achieved by other more laborious methods. Personally I find it to have an artificial flavor that stands out as unpleasant and detracts from a beer. I think many (too many) breweries use it as a shortcut to formulate Octoberfest/Marzen-type beers - which others seem to enjoy but I just can't seem to. Maybe my sensitivity to melanoidin malt is unusual. Back to the topic at hand, yes I should think Vienna to be a good addition for rounding out the malt character of a pils. I have a hard time getting the same depth of flavor in a pils that I find in the German & Czech imports which I absolutely crave so I understand the motivation to find a malt addition to imitate this.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.