Author Topic: Quality of beer in keg vs bottle  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Megary

• Brewer
Re: Quality of beer in keg vs bottle
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
I guess if I had bottles of oxidized beer that tasted of cardboard I could test his statement. But I don’t so I guess I’ll never know for myself.

At this point, we aren't even sure the OP would describe the "homebrew" flavor he's getting as the classic oxidation qualities. We may have put the cart before the horse.

He could be talking about the "muting" or degradation of hop aroma/flavor and malt flavor. Still, oxygen would be the likely culprit but it changes the discussion a little bit away from staleness.

Funny, if someone said to me that their beer tastes like typical "homebrew" I would hand them a campden tablet.   :)

That doesn't seem to be the OP's problem, but who knows?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
Great point. I guess I got off track at post #4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 08:06:48 PM »
For the OP, perhaps adding some speiss to the keg would be a work around, if he knew the volume of beer he had in the keg to bottle.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 08:53:46 PM »
I think the solution is simple. Just buy another keg.  If you keep an eye on the homebrew websites, you can usually find used ones for around $70.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Richard

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 11:55:46 PM »
Until we hear back from the original poster, I recommend dropping this discussion.

This happened a few days ago --- someone making their first post says something that generates a heated discussion, but the OP never chimes back in at all. Makes me wonder if someone is just trying to stir the pot. This forum doesn't seem like a useful place for Russian bots to wreak havoc, but who knows? The administrators can look into it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:25 AM »
Until we hear back from the original poster, I recommend dropping this discussion.

This happened a few days ago --- someone making their first post says something that generates a heated discussion, but the OP never chimes back in at all. Makes me wonder if someone is just trying to stir the pot. This forum doesn't seem like a useful place for Russian bots to wreak havoc, but who knows? The administrators can look into it.

Or we scared them off...

Offline Kolin Mcintire

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
Nope, you didn't scare me off 😷.  Sorry all, got busy the last couple days and just now remembered the post.  Wow... Lots of responses with several ideas that I would never have thought of.  Although I have been brewing for many years, I have always been a "seat of the pants" brewer.  I never really got into the science, I just brewed.  So, needless to say, although I am brewing beer I (and all friends) enjoy, I really don't know much.  So thank you all for your input.  I will try to respond to all in order....

Big Monk...hard to describe I guess.  tommymorris mentioned "cardboard" flavor.  I just opened a bottle and I guess that maybe that is it.  As I said before, tastes like homebrew...I should've taken a beer judging class many years ago so I could describe these flavors...

Kevin...I will give the "capping as I fill" a try.  My intention is to build my inventory during this virus, so I won't be drinking the bottles that quickly...

Thanks tommymorris...I appreciate the flavors lesson.  It helped.  I've been using a beer gun for years, but my beer never stayed in the bottle as long as it is now. 

BrewBama...you stirred up a hornet's nest it looks like...I don't think that is a step I am going to attempt.

homfenundmalz...I have that capability with CO2, so I may give that a shot.  Regarding the foam on top.  Do you mean fill the bottle until the foam just begins to top the bottle, stop filling, purge and cap?

Megary...would you recommend the Campden tablet for chlorine?  I use spring water (sorry forgot to mention that in the OP), no chlorine.  Can you explain...

ynotbrewsum...speiss?  I have never heard of that and have not been able to find any real good info yet.  Can you explain?

MNWayne...I have three kegs.  Problem remains the same.  I am attempting to build my bottle inventory.  I am brewing twice a week and rotating.  I just want to make sure my bottled beer survives...

Richard...not stirring the pot. I've been member for years and I guess I mostly just read posts....

Everyone, thank you.  I am going to try a couple things and see what happens... I'll try to remember to post results...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:10:54 PM by Kolin Mcintire »

Offline Richard

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »
Richard...not stirring the pot. I've been member for years and I guess I mostly just read posts....
Whew, I guess I am getting a bit paranoid. I am happy to be wrong on this. I hope the suggestions help you.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 11:02:30 PM »
Nope, you didn't scare me off 😷.  Sorry all, got busy the last couple days and just now remembered the post.  Wow... Lots of responses with several ideas that I would never have thought of.  Although I have been brewing for many years, I have always been a "seat of the pants" brewer.  I never really got into the science, I just brewed.  So, needless to say, although I am brewing beer I (and all friends) enjoy, I really don't know much.  So thank you all for your input.  I will try to respond to all in order....

Big Monk...hard to describe I guess.  tommymorris mentioned "cardboard" flavor.  I just opened a bottle and I guess that maybe that is it.  As I said before, tastes like homebrew...I should've taken a beer judging class many years ago so I could describe these flavors...

Kevin...I will give the "capping as I fill" a try.  My intention is to build my inventory during this virus, so I won't be drinking the bottles that quickly...

Thanks tommymorris...I appreciate the flavors lesson.  It helped.  I've been using a beer gun for years, but my beer never stayed in the bottle as long as it is now. 

BrewBama...you stirred up a hornet's nest it looks like...I don't think that is a step I am going to attempt.

homfenundmalz...I have that capability with CO2, so I may give that a shot.  Regarding the foam on top.  Do you mean fill the bottle until the foam just begins to top the bottle, stop filling, purge and cap?

Megary...would you recommend the Campden tablet for chlorine?  I use spring water (sorry forgot to mention that in the OP), no chlorine.  Can you explain...

ynotbrewsum...speiss?  I have never heard of that and have not been able to find any real good info yet.  Can you explain?

MNWayne...I have three kegs.  Problem remains the same.  I am attempting to build my bottle inventory.  I am brewing twice a week and rotating.  I just want to make sure my bottled beer survives...

Everyone, thank you.  I am going to try a couple things and see what happens... I'll try to remember to post results...

My goal is to have a little bit of foaming going on, so that when I pull the beer gun out of the bottle, foam rises to the top or just over. Foam is CO2 in bubbles, so you eliminate O2.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »

Megary...would you recommend the Campden tablet for chlorine?  I use spring water (sorry forgot to mention that in the OP), no chlorine.  Can you explain

Campden tablets are for chlorine or chloramine removal.  If you don't have chlorine in your water then you won't need them.

I mentioned the tablets only because the medicinal/band-aid taste by not removing chlorine is one of the most common "tastes like homebrew" off-flavors.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:00:09 AM by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 07:34:28 PM »
To megary's point- after brewing for a couple of years this website led me to campden tablets as a simple and effective water treatment without going completely into the rabbit hole. It is certainly a great improvement without going too crazy with water treatment.

Offline bmc1313

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
I’ve also heard of using campden tablets at packaging to reduce oxidation. although in this case it would be a little hard as you’re bottling off a half empty keg.

Maybe an alternative would be to bottle however much you usually need to take off the keg at the original packaging time? Then you can bottle condition those 12-24 bottles while kegging the rest. Just make sure to purge the keg of oxygen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 01:06:47 PM by bmc1313 »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »

Campden tablets are for chlorine or chloramine removal.  If you don't have chlorine in your water then you won't need them.

As a side note, the Kmeta or Nameta (campden tablets) are also used as an antioxidant.

wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Big Monk

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »

As a side note, the Kmeta or Nameta (campden tablets) are also used as an antioxidant.

Yuppers!