Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting at 36 F! W-34/70  (Read 966 times)

TXFlyGuy

Fermenting at 36 F! W-34/70
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:21:08 am »
Kegged some truly awesome beer yesterday, an Amber German Lager. It was so good, we were sampling it right out of the fermenter.

Harvested the yeast (3rd Gen, 34/70), in a large glass jug with an airlock. It is being stored in a spare kegerator, at 36-38F

But it is now fermenting like crazy, with a large thick krausen built up, and bubbling away. Is this to be expected? My other yeasts in storage (same location) are pretty much dormant.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermenting at 36 F! W-34/70
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:52:42 am »
Its not unheard of.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:43:12 am »
   Was it harvested before FG was reached? If not, what is it eating?
   FWIW, I liked your previous avatar better, as a rule commercial aircraft just aren't as sexy as the old warbirds :).
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:46:48 am »
   FWIW, I liked your previous avatar better, as a rule commercial aircraft just aren't as sexy as the old warbirds :).

Possibly the oxygen, and stirring effect of the harvesting(think rousing) is having a stir plate effect. In that in a stir plate you are artificially keeping the yeast suspended in solution which leads to lower than normal gravity rates. Cold fermented bread dough is a thing (a highly recommended thing at that) so that would mean we can see fermentation at cold temps.
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:59 pm »
We did not take a FG reading...just went by taste. It "tasted" like it was ready!

OG 1.051. Brewed 21 days ago.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 05:33:38 pm »

Possibly the oxygen, and stirring effect of the harvesting(think rousing) is having a stir plate effect. In that in a stir plate you are artificially keeping the yeast suspended in solution which leads to lower than normal gravity rates. Cold fermented bread dough is a thing (a highly recommended thing at that) so that would mean we can see fermentation at cold temps.

That is of course a possibility, but by the description of the amount of fermentation activity I'd be quite surprised if 3rd Gen 34/70 pooped out with that much fermentable sugar remaining. Since they didn't actually verify by testing that fermentation really was complete, I think my question was answered. 
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 06:29:20 pm »

Yes, for sure. I just change them up from time to time. It is very hard to get one to "fit" correctly, without being compressed or stretched. My current Avatar is a picture of the replica P-51D Mustang we are building.

We are confident that beer was fully attenuated. There was no residual sweetness noticed, and was very well balanced. My brewing partner agrees this was perhaps our best effort yet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:51:43 pm by Bel Air Brewing »