Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing dry yeasts  (Read 1957 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Mixing dry yeasts
« on: April 23, 2020, 11:31:41 am »
Does anyone blend different yeasts to obtain a unique flavor profile?

I have 2 US-05 and 1 WB-06. Both are ale yeasts obviously. WB-06 is a wheat yeast. I need 3 pkg's total of US-05 but only have 2. I thought I could use the WB-06 in the recipe but wasn't sure on the outcome.

Again, does anyone blend yeasts? If so, what is your opinions on this blend.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Mixing dry yeasts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 11:35:42 am »
Isn’t wb06 supposed to be a weizen yeast? From what everyone has told me is that blending yeast can be unpredictable and one strain will become dominant. What are you brewing?

I have blended m76 with s-189 and wy2565 with Nottingham and was very pleased with the results especially the second.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:49:31 am »
I've done 50/50 blends of Windsor and S-O4 and gotten nice results.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:33 pm »
I've tried, but the results are so unpredictable I no longer do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:08:44 pm »
The last time I mixed yeasts was a batch of marzen that I bottled 2.5 weeks ago. I didn't have enough S-189 so I threw in a partial pack of w34/70. It turned out fine, but then again it wasn't that much difference in the yeasts like the O P is contemplating.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:22:00 pm »
From what I understand, using one yeast to ferment with and brettanomyces to package with was (maybe still is?) standard practice in British beer.  The desired result was the flavor impact. They even named it ‘brettanomyces’ because of this practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:31:02 pm »
Isn’t wb06 supposed to be a weizen yeast? From what everyone has told me is that blending yeast can be unpredictable and one strain will become dominant. What are you brewing?

I have blended m76 with s-189 and wy2565 with Nottingham and was very pleased with the results especially the second.

Im not sure, I know it is a wheat yeast. I really need to stop buying yeast until I need it!!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 05:29:11 pm »
I think I read about mixing dry yeasts on Mike Tonsmire's Mad Fermentationist blog a long while ago.  You might rifle through his old posts and see.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:59:06 pm »
There was a zymurgy article about pitching two yeasts.  You don't have to pitch your yeast simultaneously.   If I had to pitch WB-06, I would pitch it ~12 hours later than the US-05 so that US-05 would have a chance to multiply before the WB-06.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:36 am »
There was a zymurgy article about pitching two yeasts.  You don't have to pitch your yeast simultaneously.   If I had to pitch WB-06, I would pitch it ~12 hours later than the US-05 so that US-05 would have a chance to multiply before the WB-06.

I was thinking along those lines. Let the US-05 get a head start since I have 2 pkg of them, then the 1 pkg of WB-06 to hopefully add a small nuance of wheat.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 08:07:05 am »

I was thinking along those lines. Let the US-05 get a head start since I have 2 pkg of them, then the 1 pkg of WB-06 to hopefully add a small nuance of wheat.

I have done this as well with a beer whose fermentation fizzled out before hitting terminal gravity.  Adding the second yeast after the first one "gives up" does help finish the beer.  I don't do it often, but it is a extra tool in my brewhouse.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ExtractDoug

• 1st Kit
  • Keeping it simple and consistent with extract
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:39:37 pm »
If the US-05's are fresh, and the beers are not terribly high OG's, you can underpitch.  I routinely pitch half a pack of US-05 into 5.5gallon batches of wort up to 1.059, and have had no issues.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 12:50:28 pm »
So a little follow up. 17 gal batch size. 1.040 OG Pitched 2 packs of US.05 and fermentation started rolling good at 14-18 hrs. Waited another 12 hours and pitched 2 (originally thought I only had one) WB.06 and the blow off bucket started to bubble exponentially within 5 hrs. I will taste active fermentation tonight or tmrrw to gauge how these two might meld together.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 06:01:47 am »
Isn’t wb06 supposed to be a weizen yeast?

It's marketed as such although it's completely unrelated to the hefe yeast and is actually a member of the saison family, most closely related to strains that are meant to have originated at Duvel. It's a beast for biotransformation, it's so active that it completely trashes hop flavour IME.

From what everyone has told me is that blending yeast can be unpredictable and one strain will become dominant.

You're thinking more of what happens over time if you repitch, it's not such a concern the first time you mix, as here.

From what I understand, using one yeast to ferment with and brettanomyces to package with was (maybe still is?) standard practice in British beer.  The desired result was the flavor impact. They even named it ‘brettanomyces’ because of this practice.

Up until the 19th century it was standard practice everywhere to ferment with a multistrain - the first gyle with a single strain of yeast was brewed at Carlsberg on 12 November 1883 under Hansen's direction. And traditional British breweries have generally proved fairly resistant to the idea of single strains and still brew with multistrains (but all Saccharomyces), although most were cleaned up during the move to CCVs in the 1970s to make them easier to manage, eg Adnams went from 5 strains to 2 strains. Part of that is you need them for the complexity they bring, British styles rely more on yeast contribution than many others, and also it's hard to get the brewing performance you need from a single strain when you're looking for both commercially acceptable levels of attenuation and good flocculation for cask-conditioned beer.

They never "used Brettanomyces" to "package with" as such - but in the mid 19th-century stock beer was routinely aged for 6+ months in wooden barrels/tuns that inevitably were contaminated with a whole zoo of wild yeasts, including Brettanomyces. Although the UK had largely moved on from the practice of long ageing by the time Hansen was promoting the idea of single strain yeasts, British brewers (with a couple of exceptions such as the long-gone Chester's of Manchester and Combe's) found that single strains didn't match their idea of what their beers "should" taste like.

There's some extant examples of traditionally aged beers in Britain that are aged to pick up a bit of funk - Harvey's Imperial Stout is one, although in that case the main wild yeast is a Debaryomyces - but it's not been a mainstream thing for over a century.

Does anyone blend different yeasts to obtain a unique flavor profile?

I have 2 US-05 and 1 WB-06. Both are ale yeasts obviously. WB-06 is a wheat yeast. I need 3 pkg's total of US-05 but only have 2. I thought I could use the WB-06 in the recipe but wasn't sure on the outcome.

Again, does anyone blend yeasts? If so, what is your opinions on this blend.

As I say, multistrains are the norm among British family brewers, and it's not uncommon to mix dry yeasts among the more forward-thinking breweries that are too small to have their own yeast labs, but in the UK it's more about combining the flavour of something like Windsor with the flocculation performance of eg Nottingham. There's a massive thread over on HBT devoted to untangling the yeast that Tree House use(d) in star beers like Julius, which may (have) be(en) a mix of S-04, T-58 and WB-06 - but in proportions of around 85:10:5 respectively. As I say, IME you've got to be really careful with WB-06 as it tends to trash hop flavour, certainly if it's 33% of a yeast blend it will tend to take over.