Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash PH  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
Re: Mash PH
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 10:19:21 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/czech-plz-what-i-learned-brewing-with-the-czech-masters/

If interested, this seminar given by Annie Johnson, speaks about Czech Pilners and her visits to Pilsner Urquell. In it, she claims their "mash' pH is 4.7-4.9 She also claims this was stated to her by Head Brewmaster Vaclav Berka. She states that that is the pH she targets for her Czech Pilz and claims it is that low pH that drives the familiar flavor of Pilsner Urquell specifically and Czech beers in general.

If anything, it is a good seminar to watch.

Cool, so if the mash pH is that, whats that in room temp? Danger, loaded question.
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 10:28:10 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/czech-plz-what-i-learned-brewing-with-the-czech-masters/

If interested, this seminar given by Annie Johnson, speaks about Czech Pilners and her visits to Pilsner Urquell. In it, she claims their "mash' pH is 4.7-4.9 She also claims this was stated to her by Head Brewmaster Vaclav Berka. She states that that is the pH she targets for her Czech Pilz and claims it is that low pH that drives the familiar flavor of Pilsner Urquell specifically and Czech beers in general.

Cool, so if the mash pH is that, whats that in room temp? Danger, loaded question.

Are you assuming that isn't room temp?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 11:25:33 am »

[/quote

Ok! I won't touch that one!  ;D

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 11:34:12 am »

No, I'm not. It's stated that its mash. Please re-read above.
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 11:44:58 am »

Am I confused, when I check my mash pH, whether at 15,20,30 mins or the end of the mash, I cool my wort then take my reading.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 11:53:19 am »

But it doesn't state that it's at mash temp.  You assumed that.  When I take mash pH, it's at room temp.  Why couldn't it be that way for them?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 11:54:16 am »

Am I confused, when I check my mash pH, whether at 15,20,30 mins or the end of the mash, I cool my wort then take my reading.

Commercial breweries would likely take readings "at temp" because of in process probes being able to handle the temps. So if she is indeed quoting their in process numbers, they would be higher by a certain degree depending on the process. More like 5.00-5.20 at "room temp".

narvin

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 11:56:26 am »
I'm even more confused because her presentation doesn't say mash pH, it says water pH:

My well water is generally soft but low pH of around 5.1-5.2 due to dissolved CO2.  Has she said elsewhere this is the mash pH?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2020, 12:00:18 pm »
I'm even more confused because her presentation doesn't say mash pH, it says water pH:

My well water is generally soft but low pH of around 5.1-5.2 due to dissolved CO2.  Has she said elsewhere this is the mash pH?

Watch it again, she definitely said mash pH. I will too just so I don't have to eat crow.

narvin

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »

Watch it again, she definitely said mash pH. I will too just so I don't have to eat crow.

I'm just listening to the audio now for the first time.  Not clear to me, it seems like she's saying the source water is the key.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »

Ok, here are some excerpts. At 14:30-14:42 then 15:45-15:52 and finally at 24:37-24:52 when asked by an audience participant a question about if it was the water pH or mash pH she spoke of earlier and she states mash pH

Big Monk

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 01:23:19 pm »

Ok, here are some excerpts. At 14:30-14:42 then 15:45-15:52 and finally at 24:37-24:52 when asked by an audience participant a question about if it was the water pH or mash pH she spoke of earlier and she states mash pH

I can’t see any professional, commercial brewery targeting a room temperature mash pH of 4.7-4.9 so she must be talking about mash temp pH. Depending on temperature and mash schedule that could be in the low 5s for room temp pH so it’s low but not crazy.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 02:30:46 pm »

I can’t see any professional, commercial brewery targeting a room temperature mash pH of 4.7-4.9 so she must be talking about mash temp pH. Depending on temperature and mash schedule that could be in the low 5s for room temp pH so it’s low but not crazy.

Well the woman said what she said and she has an impressive resume.
I guess its like the old saying goes" You can't see the forest because of the trees"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »

Commercial breweries would likely take readings "at temp" because of in process probes being able to handle the temps. So if she is indeed quoting their in process numbers, they would be higher by a certain degree depending on the process. More like 5.00-5.20 at "room temp".

I can say with certainty that Sierra Nevada, at least,  does not take pH at temp.  They cool first. And can we just agree that only Annie knows what she meant?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 03:12:48 pm »

I can say with certainty that Sierra Nevada, at least,  does not take pH at temp.  They cool first. And can we just agree that only Annie knows what she meant?

Absolutely!! I know what she meant too. I listened to it over and over and in the context of the simple question the audience member asked. I think you know what she meant Denny because I believe you made a comment while at the seminar and she responded to it but please let me know if I am mistaken and that it was not you but another Denny.

I'm certainly not trying to argue but she said what she said with a  simple, plain response....mash.