Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: if you can go back to when you started brewing, what advice would you give yours  (Read 3590 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
- Write stuff down. Take notes.
- Don't be afraid of all-grain.
- Your beer can be better.
- It's a hobby. Hobbies cost money. Don't be such a tightass.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
It's really much harder to make world class beer then the books or home brewing websites would have you believe.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
It's really much harder to make world class beer then the books or home brewing websites would have you believe.
True.  When we all got into the hobby we might go to a forum or a supplier website and see something that said MAKING BEER IS EASY!!  But making consistently great beer... that's another story. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

Of course it is.  I have to admit, though, that my goal is not to make world class beer.  It's to enjoy making beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl

Of course it is.  I have to admit, though, that my goal is not to make world class beer.  It's to enjoy making beer.
Id like to add that for over 25 years I have been entering competitions and brewing with respect to winning those competitions.  Now that the circuit is silent due to the pandemic, I have been brewing for myself.  It is somewhat liberating.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA

Id like to add that for over 25 years I have been entering competitions and brewing with respect to winning those competitions.  Now that the circuit is silent due to the pandemic, I have been brewing for myself.  It is somewhat liberating.

Enjoying brewing the beer you enjoy drinking.  I've never entered a comp.  I've been told be several BJCP judges that I should but medals and trophies just aren't my thing. 
Brew what you like, share with people, accept the praise (or suggestions) and have fun with it.  Homebrewing shouldn't be work.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

That's just what I've found, too. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
These probably have already been stated:
  • Make friends with a homebrewer. Brew with them. Do the work (cleaning).
  • Focus on cleaning everything. Be obsessive with cleaning.
  • Fermentation Fermentation Fermentation
  • Everyone has opinions. Few really matter. Find those people who give you blunt and direct feedback - listen and decide if it's legit.
  • Use every sense: Hearing (pumps, fire), Smell (burning, malt and hop aromas), Taste (from Mashing to Fermentation). Go easy with the touching - stuff is hot.
  • BJCP made me a better brewer... it might do the same for you. Critical evaluation of your own beer is important.
  • Brewing Water Chemistry matters. Don't overthink it though.
  • Brew as often as you can. Develop that muscle memory. AND rebrew your favorite recipes making single tweaks till they are perfect (for you).
  • Finally - assess the dangers in your brew house. Glass carboys come to mind. Boiling wort that might spill or foam over. Have a plan to address these things.
  • Don't brew in flip-flops or sandals :)
  • Drink after the brew day as a reward, and not during the brewing
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse

On this topic, one thing stays in my brain:  With macro-swill being what it is, with some craft breweries turning out subpar products and with the budgetary constraints of other commercial breweries, homebrewers truly have the ability to make beer that is just as good or better than commercial breweries who make great beer.  We have access to excellent malts, hops and yeast, we have great equipment, we have literature and podcasts and we have each other to bounce ideas around.  We also have people in homebrewing that never give up experimenting and finding new concepts or ways to do things that help us all.  I have never given up on the idea that homebrewers have the power to make the best beer anywhere.  Optimistic? 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

On this topic, one thing stays in my brain:  With macro-swill being what it is, with some craft breweries turning out subpar products and with the budgetary constraints of other commercial breweries, homebrewers truly have the ability to make beer that is just as good or better than commercial breweries who make great beer.  We have access to excellent malts, hops and yeast, we have great equipment, we have literature and podcasts and we have each other to bounce ideas around.  We also have people in homebrewing that never give up experimenting and finding new concepts or ways to do things that help us all.  I have never given up on the idea that homebrewers have the power to make the best beer anywhere.  Optimistic?

I agree, the possibility is there.  It's just that for me, that's a secondary goal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
By definition, its extremely hard for anyone - homebrewers, macros, micros etc. - to make "world class" beer.  If it were easy, we would have to redefine what we mean by "world class".  I don't think its that hard for homebrewers to make very good beer though, quite often better than what can be found at the local bottle shop.  Because of this (and a lot of other things), I find homebrewing a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby.

Offline breezybrew

• 1st Kit
I have found you have to build your recipe around the yeast you plan on using. Cali ale yeasts being much drier can take a higher amount of kilned malts than a lower attenuator like 1968/Pub ale strains. With 1968/Pub I feel like I'm always making my recipes simpler as well as mashing lower. 1056/US05 it feels like I'm always trying to build in complexity and mashing higher.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Just do not start commercial brewery.

I really enjoyed opening a commercial brewery and even now while continuing to work for one I still enjoy it. That said, when this latest stint is over I may get out of the brewing business for a while and concentrate on homebrewing again. Homebrewing is a lot of fun where as commercial brewing is a lot of work. Hard work.

As far as the question from the OP: Be careful with oxidation post fermentation, always be sure to pitch enough yeast, monitor fermentation temps, and relax and enjoy the process of brewing. Also don't be afraid to dump beer if you don't like it.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing

I really enjoyed opening a commercial brewery and even now while continuing to work for one I still enjoy it. That said, when this latest stint is over I may get out of the brewing business for a while and concentrate on homebrewing again. Homebrewing is a lot of fun where as commercial brewing is a lot of work. Hard work.

As far as the question from the OP: Be careful with oxidation post fermentation, always be sure to pitch enough yeast, monitor fermentation temps, and relax and enjoy the process of brewing. Also don't be afraid to dump beer if you don't like it.
Do not get me wrong. I enjoy running my own small brewery (500+ BBLs). I devoted 10 years to it so far. I still brew and run brewery and i enjoy it.

But as you have said it is a lot of hard work.

If i would do it again, i would start 10 years before we started.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Do not get me wrong. I enjoy running my own small brewery (500+ BBLs). I devoted 10 years to it so far. I still brew and run brewery and i enjoy it.

But as you have said it is a lot of hard work.

If i would do it again, i would start 10 years before we started.

Well you did it right. I started with partners, 2 of whom I knew from the start I didn't like or trust. If I could do THAT over again I'd go solo or with one partner I could trust.