Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermented Veggies  (Read 1414 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Fermented Veggies
« on: April 30, 2020, 05:39:37 pm »
Its time to preserve roots. I built a simple root cellar years back that works very well. A simple walled off and insulated corner of the cellar that I bring cold air into from outside passively.
Everything is still in great shape but everything will go south soon now that the nights are not consistently freezing so I am fermenting everything that is amenable to it. I do a simple dry salt method. Veg. Salt, and any seasonings. Veg gets cut or grated up, seasoned,  rubbed with salt, and put into the clay croc and weighted down. Ready in 4-6 days. Delicious and nutritious, they are a great side dish or snack with lots of probiotic goodness. No waste.
Pictured are carrots and ginger, beets with coriander, mustard, and caraway seeds, and spring dug parsnips with habeneros that were frozen from last fall, garlic, ginger, and fresh dandelion and nettle leaves.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Re: Fermented Veggies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 06:25:01 am »
we just put in this year’s garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:21 am »
we just put in this year’s garden.

Cool. We have the garlic up, onions in, and early stuff like peas, faves, spinach, and lettuce. Brassicas and roots going in this weekend.
Are you already able to put tomatoes, squash, peppers and such in? What’s your last frost date?

Offline BrewBama

Fermented Veggies
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 07:46:02 am »
Our threat of frost is past. It’s been getting down to mid 40(s) at night. Of course there could be a freak frost but it’s unlikely.

We always wait until after Tax Day to put in peppers, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. I sowed some green bean seeds I had on hand a few weeks ago and had to cover them one night.

We usually sow more seeds but we wanted to support our local general store so we went down and bought some plants from him.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:03:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:21:09 am »
Nice set up, we did something like that for my MIL, who has a bad hip, for Mother’s Day last year.
Here Memorial Day is when hot weather crops go in. I believe May 27 is our local last frost day. A few years ago we got down to 17F one night in mid May and ended up with no peaches in the entire state that year and very pour apple and pear crops.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 08:26:19 am »
The wife pickled carrots about 3 weeks ago. She split it 4 ways in Mason jars. One each infused with either ginger, garlic, green Hatch Chile flakes, or smoked hot Chile flakes. We've almost polished those off already. Great snacks at happy hour.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:33:09 am »
The raspberries are going great guns already and the rhubarb is almost ready to harvest.

We planted everything last weekend.  A freeze is still technically possible but unlikely.  Everything is looking great so far.

I started radishes and kohlrabi's this year and we transplanted them.  I've never done that before but they seem to have taken really well.

We planted vegetables in all the backyard flower beds this year as a hedge against the whole ag impact of COVID this year.  Tomatoes and peppers and squash are pretty plants, right?

Hopefully we have good production this year.  We are on year 3 of having a garden again.  It seems like you have to relearn everything.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 08:35:09 am »
We have 5 small gardens all around the yard not including container tomatoes.  SWMBO uses her veg truck for small stuff. She loves it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:50:35 am »
We have a large garden and do a lot of pickling to preserve things, but I don't think we've ever fermented.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 11:10:55 am »
We have a large garden and do a lot of pickling to preserve things, but I don't think we've ever fermented.
Fermenting is worth trying and just as easy if you like sauerkraut, Kim chi and such. More health benefits too.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:12:51 am »
Fermenting is worth trying and just as easy if you like sauerkraut, Kim chi and such. More health benefits too.

I love them all!  It's just a question of logistics

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 11:18:02 am »

Yea, there’s dozens of things I would like to try but one thing takes away from the other timewise. That being said, the amount of active in time fermenting veggies is pretty little, and you don’t need special equipment. I do small batches in mason jars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 11:21:52 am »

Yea, there’s dozens of things I would like to try but one thing takes away from the other timewise. That being said, the amount of active in time fermenting veggies is pretty little, and you don’t need special equipment. I do small batches in mason jars.

It's more a question of a storage space. But I'm intrigued.

www.dennybrew.com