Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermented Garlic  (Read 1179 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Fermented Garlic
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:02:29 am »
Was watching one of the Xumo food channels and one of the shows had fermented garlic. Looked up a recipe and started a pint jar. Anyone ever fermented garlic?

My wife is also doing a honey and garlic fermentation.

Both take at least a month.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Fermented Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:16:24 am »
Have yet to ferment garlic but I have bought some. I use it mostly in Asian cooking to add a nice depth of flavor in sauces. It is something I will eventually try since I like it and I grow a lot.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:35:54 am »
The garlic fermented in honey is a real show-stopper! I was at a fermentation festival in town a few years back, and one of the speakers was talking about fermenting garlic. The crowd was kind of small, so folks started pitching "what if" types of questions about garlic's reputation as a "problem child" in the fermentation world. A guy standing next to me told me to try it in honey. Wow! I take a couple of cloves, mash them up, and integrate them into fresh pasta dough. People go nuts! Bonus: use the honey in a warm beverage during cold season.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
The garlic fermented in honey is a real show-stopper! I was at a fermentation festival in town a few years back, and one of the speakers was talking about fermenting garlic. The crowd was kind of small, so folks started pitching "what if" types of questions about garlic's reputation as a "problem child" in the fermentation world. A guy standing next to me told me to try it in honey. Wow! I take a couple of cloves, mash them up, and integrate them into fresh pasta dough. People go nuts! Bonus: use the honey in a warm beverage during cold season.

How about sharing the recipe? I grow 175 heads a year and have plenty to try this!!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:24:19 pm »
Is fermented garlic the same as Black Garlic?  If so, I can attest to the incredible flavor contribution - nothing like ordinary garlic.

Yes, the recipe would be nice!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:25:07 pm »
Gonna sound stupid simple, but there we are: Peel a bunch of cloves, stuff 'em in a jar, cover with honey, walk away for 6-8 weeks.
Cramming is good, since the cloves will want to float up to the top of the jar. If you have one of those small round stones that come with some pickling kits, you can use that. Like all (most?) ferments, you want to minimize oxygen exposure. (Sound familiar?) I keep it in the fridge once the fermentation is done. And, like I mentioned, it can go into virtually any kitchen and liven it up.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 02:53:10 pm »
Garlic, Honey
Anerobic for 6-8 weeks
Store in the refrigerator after fermentation

Thanks! I can't wait until July!!