Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gravity Numbers  (Read 4400 times)

TXFlyGuy

Gravity Numbers
« on: May 01, 2020, 07:50:15 pm »
24 lbs pils malt, 13 gallon boil volume, 10 gallon batch size.

First gravity reading (taken from mash tun) = 1.066
Last gravity reading (taken from BK) = 1.049

For those of you with experience diving into the minutia of numbers, what exactly does this tell us?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Gravity Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:16:49 pm »
Are you shooting for 10 gallons in the kegs/bottles or in the fermenter? How much did you leave behind in the mash tun or boil kettle? What was your boil volume? You can start dialing things in when you get those numbers. Starting with that, you can use standard assumptions about extract, as per the beer smith article below. If you really want to dive into the details, malt lot analysis sheets can get you a more precise number, but I haven't dove into that. A few more learned members have talked about it, but this method works pretty well.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/01/30/calculating-original-gravity-for-beer-recipe-design/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:22:56 pm by Wilbur »

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:20:08 pm »
24 lbs pils malt, 13 gallon boil volume, 10 gallon batch size.

First gravity reading (taken from mash tun) = 1.066
Last gravity reading (taken from BK) = 1.049

For those of you with experience diving into the minutia of numbers, what exactly does this tell us?

Looks like a bad measurement in the mash tun. Maybe the wort wasn’t mixed thoroughly.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:02 pm »
Are you shooting for 10 gallons in the kegs/bottles or in the fermenter? How much did you leave behind in the mash tun or boil kettle? What was your boil volume? You can start dialing things in when you get those numbers. Starting with that, you can use standard assumptions about extract, as per the beer smith article below. If you really want to dive into the details, malt lot analysis sheets can get you a more precise number, but I haven't dove into that. A few more learned members have talked about it, but this method works pretty well.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/01/30/calculating-original-gravity-for-beer-recipe-design/

The goal was 11 gallons final volume into the fermenter. Boiled 13 gallons, ended with 10 due to vigorous evaporation. Left behind 1.5 gallons in the mash tun. We squeezed every last drop from the boil kettle.

That 1.066 reading was from the mash, prior to run off.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 10:46:00 pm »

The goal was 11 gallons final volume into the fermenter. Boiled 13 gallons, ended with 10 due to vigorous evaporation. Left behind 1.5 gallons in the mash tun. We squeezed every last drop from the boil kettle.

That 1.066 reading was from the mash, prior to run off.

I ran the potato math and even assuming 100% conversion efficiency (which isn’t likely) there’s no way you got 1.066 from the mash.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 06:11:11 am »
It's impossible to get 1.066 from 24 lbs of grain? This was before any run off. The mash water volume was 8 gallons.

If so, what about the 1.049 in the BK? These numbers were taken with a refractometer. The mash Brix was 16.2.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 06:49:24 am »
I ran the potato math and even assuming 100% conversion efficiency (which isn%u2019t likely) there%u2019s no way you got 1.066 from the mash.

I agree.  Impossible.  You'd have to have 105% mash efficiency or something.  I've seen 94% before, but never 105%.

(EDIT: If you saw my previous response above, nevermind it, deleted.)

You're especially going to expect a huge reduction in brewhouse efficiency from this point, if 1.5 gallons of wort was left behind in the mash tun.  Wasted sugars.

One of the two readings is completely wrong, if not both.  So, check all your calibrations.  What does your refractometer read in plain water?  What does your mash thermometer read in boiling water?  Ice water?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:58:53 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:20 am »
You can get above 100% if decocting since it makes available some starches that have to be boiled and popped to access.
Not saying it’s the case here.  Just in the of of efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:04:03 am »
You can get above 100% if decocting since it makes available some starches that have to be boiled and popped to access.
Not saying it’s the case here.  Just in the of of efficiency.

Thanks.  Makes sense.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 08:10:52 am »
Beta glucans refracting light?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 09:26:20 am »
I ran the potato math and even assuming 100% conversion efficiency (which isn%u2019t likely) there%u2019s no way you got 1.066 from the mash.

I agree.  Impossible.  You'd have to have 105% mash efficiency or something.  I've seen 94% before, but never 105%.

(EDIT: If you saw my previous response above, nevermind it, deleted.)

You're especially going to expect a huge reduction in brewhouse efficiency from this point, if 1.5 gallons of wort was left behind in the mash tun.  Wasted sugars.

One of the two readings is completely wrong, if not both.  So, check all your calibrations.  What does your refractometer read in plain water?  What does your mash thermometer read in boiling water?  Ice water?

Perhaps absorption loss?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 10:01:13 am »
The runoff was halted as we hit our target of 13 gallons in the BK. The remaining wort in the mash tun was extremely weak at this point, thus the reason we dumped it down the drain.

BTW...the numbers here reflect what we have experienced in previous brews, being an OG ranging from 1.055+.

Yes, the refractometer was calibrated with distilled water.

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 10:02:13 am »
The issue here is that the mash gravity reading is not possible. Given that there was a reasonable value for original extract, the mash extract was more likely on the order of 1.040 or so.

I didn’t run hard numbers so I’m off by about +/- 0.02 S.G. But in the wheelhouse enough to know that it was merely a bad reading from the mash.

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 10:03:03 am »
The runoff was halted as we hit our target of 13 gallons in the BK. The remaining wort in the mash tun was extremely weak at this point, thus the reason we dumped it down the drain.

BTW...the numbers here reflect what we have experienced in previous brews, being an OG ranging from 1.055+.

Is this a no-sparge or sparge batch?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:51 am »

Sugar thrown away is sugar thrown away.

Check your mash thermometer.  And how's the mash pH?
Dave