Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gravity Numbers  (Read 4362 times)

Big Monk

Re: Gravity Numbers
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 09:50:24 am »
Isn't it the same thing?  I consider my kettle gravity to be the post mash gravity. What am I missing?

Maybe semantics? I only make a distinction between mash gravity, and say pre-boil gravity, because when I add sugars in my spreadsheet, I have a separate cell that tracks the addition of the sugars on total gravity.

In essence, post-mash gravity = pre-boil gravity = kettle gravity.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 10:20:45 am »
Unless I am way off base here, I consider post mash gravity to be the gravity of the wort before sparging.  Please enlighten me on this.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:56 am »
Unless I am way off base here, I consider post mash gravity to be the gravity of the wort before sparging.  Please enlighten me on this.

That would be first runnings. Preboil gravity would be first runnings mixed with sparge runnings.
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2020, 10:35:19 am »

That would be first runnings. Preboil gravity would be first runnings mixed with sparge runnings.

THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 11:38:38 am »

This. It is exactly what we measured.

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 12:04:58 pm »

Whats "This" mean, I just listed 3 separate measurements?
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2020, 02:25:48 pm »

All the above. 1st runnings. Preboil = 1st running plus sparge.

Big Monk

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:52 pm »

So was the 1.066 you measured pre-boil or first runnings?

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 05:53:08 pm »

So was the 1.066 you measured pre-boil or first runnings?

The first runnings out of the mash tun, before any sparge was started. The most intense sugar concentration of the entire brew.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 06:21:30 pm »
When sparging I have never measured first runnings gravity.  I don’t see the point...except when doing a no sparge or full infusion recirc mash collection.  YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Big Monk

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 06:29:48 pm »
When sparging I have never measured first runnings gravity.  I don’t see the point...except when doing a no sparge or full infusion recirc mash collection.  YMMV, of course.

First runnings Gravity is important because it tells you your conversion efficiency and is a good stop on the troubleshoot express.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »

First runnings Gravity is important because it tells you your conversion efficiency and is a good stop on the troubleshoot express.

Gotcha - good point. I have dialed in my systems over time using trial and error, so I haven’t needed a whole lot of trouble shooting lately, but I will keep that in mind for future reference!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online BrewBama

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 07:28:12 pm »
I take first runnings SG to see how close I get to my guess. It’s amazing that I can guess spot on sometimes. ...but +/- 2 points is the norm.

May the 4th be with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 08:11:51 am »

THIS^^^^  I always do first running gravity, as well as boil gravity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 08:22:12 am »

Thank you. I stand enlightened.  I will modify my notes in the future to use the pre-boil gravity as the post-mash gravity in Beer Smith.  In addition I always measure first runnings as was mentioned by several others for as Big Monk says to have a "stop on the troubleshoot express". (I like that one)

THIS^^^^^
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified