Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Dubbel in many years!  (Read 920 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
First Dubbel in many years!
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:43 pm »
Just thought I’d share my brew day today. Had a great time of it making a Belgian style Dubbel. Since weevils got into a new bag of golden promise I used as the base malt rather than traditional continental pilsener malt.

Dubbel AKA Larry
5.5 gal
79% efficiency
1.072 OG
1.016 target FG
7.2% abv

10.25 lb golden promise
1 lb red wheat malt
4 oz acidulated malt
1 lb D-180 at 20 minutes
7 oz local Cane Syrup (approximates D-60 syrup)
4 oz table sugar

1 oz Perle 7aau at 60 minutes
1 oz Tettnanger 4aau at 60 minutes

Pitched onto a yeast cake of wlp400 from a recent witbier.
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: First Dubbel in many years!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 07:55:14 am »
Seen nice, just one question why the red wheat?

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 11:02:38 am »
For a touch of body and head retention. I’m a big fan of head stability and almost always add something to a recipe to aid head retention.
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:48:19 am »
For a touch of body and head retention. I’m a big fan of head stability and almost always add something to a recipe to aid head retention.

Since you're making a Belgian beer, here are a couple points to consider...Belgian beers don't have a great deal of body.  In fact the Belgians praise what they call "digestibility", which means a lighter body.  And consider Duvel...maybe about the best foam in the beer world, and it's just pils malt and sugar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell