Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Ruined?  (Read 869 times)

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
Yeast Ruined?
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:57:45 pm »
I recently purchased White Labs liquid lager yeast online (local shop went out of business) and the yeast arrived warm. I immediately put in the fridge but am worried it's shot and my batch is going to come out poor/not at all. Any thoughts on whether or not I can still use it? Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast Ruined?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 02:58:27 pm »
Good chance that you'll be OK.  Make a starter to assess viability.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:03:57 pm »
This is the very reason I went to dried yeast. I just couldn’t take one more DOA liquid strain delivery.

I hope yours is just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »
I recently purchased White Labs liquid lager yeast online (local shop went out of business) and the yeast arrived warm. I immediately put in the fridge but am worried it's shot and my batch is going to come out poor/not at all. Any thoughts on whether or not I can still use it? Thanks!
How long was it in transit?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 06:57:04 pm »
Like BrewBama, I switched to dry yeasts a few years ago. Not so much because of DOA yeasts, but my LHBS was selling yeasts that were outdated by several months and when I checked, most of their inventory was at or near the best by date. When I called them on selling outdated yeast, the response from one of the owners was to suggest that I make a starter. I made starters anyways but, between that indifference and my refusal to pay a premium price for an outdated product I quit buying yeast from them.
I live in the high desert and ordering liquid yeasts is out of the question during the Summer. Even with an ice pack, the yeast often arrives hot. I just picked up a kit from my old LHBS just to support them in these strange times. I got a Pure Pitch pack with it and checked the date. It was packages just a month ago. Will I go back to liquid yeasts? Not after the great results I've been having from dry yeasts, and at about half the price.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »
I order liquid yeasts from RiteBrew and based on my location it is 2 day shipping.  I include an ice pack every time I order.  I try to order my yeast for all summer in the spring to avoid issues but it still happens.  I just ordered some a week or so ago and of course it was much warmer then normal that week and it arrived around room temp with the ice pack completely melted.  I've had it happen before a time or two when it took an extra day of shipping or it was extra hot and haven't noticed any ill effects.   I would definitely make a starter but you should be okay if it wasn't warm for too long.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 06:32:33 am »
How long was it in transit?

48 hours. Hopefully it wasn't warm for too long but I will make a starter and cross my fingers. Thanks everyone!