Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Confession  (Read 2529 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Confession
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 01:02:50 pm »
A lot of the reason I've been on hiatus with brewing the past few years is that my wife is out of work, and she's not a fan of the smell or me taking over the kitchen for the day. I can empathize with you on the lack of a dedicated brewing space. I recently sprung for an Anvil Foundry system to help minimize my brewing footprint, and potentially brew outside if the weather cooperates. I'm hoping that this will help me brew more often.

Personally, though, if I could warp from whirlpool to tap and bypass fermentation and packaging (and cleaning!), then I'd take it. My favorite parts of the brewing process start with planning right up until the last hop addition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 05:54:28 am »
I love brew day.  It’s the bottling that I find not so fun.  In the pre-digital age I used to have a cassette tape of some very primitive blue grass music I would put on.  My old cat Spike would sit there with his ears all twisting around.  I imagine the fiddle strings probably were cat gut.

Now I just put on my Sirius XM and listen to Outlaw Country.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 10:16:47 pm »
Just finished Brewday.  I like all of Brewday ( much better since I went electric ), right up to when I pitch my yeast and put the fermenter to bed...... then the next 2hours of cleaning and putting everything away really beats me down.  If I could be done after pitching, I would brew so much more.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 06:23:59 am »
Just finished Brewday.  I like all of Brewday ( much better since I went electric ), right up to when I pitch my yeast and put the fermenter to bed...... then the next 2hours of cleaning and putting everything away really beats me down.  If I could be done after pitching, I would brew so much more.
I clean as I go. Once the boil is underway the RIMS and MLT are cleaned. The only thing left at the end of brewday is the BK, mop the floor, and clean the slop sink. I clean the pump the next day or two. No rush there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:42 am »
I clean as I go. Once the boil is underway the RIMS and MLT are cleaned. The only thing left at the end of brewday is the BK, mop the floor, and clean the slop sink. I clean the pump the next day or two. No rush there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^This.  I clean as I go as well.  The last things cleaned on the brew day are the kettle and the plate chiller (including the pump and the inline hop screen.

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Fire Rooster

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 11:00:47 am »
Clean as I go also. 4.25 gallon was brewed today, this time using S-04 yeast
to compare it with W-34/70.  Total time 6 1/2 hours from dead start to
completely cleaned up.  Sometimes I admit it isn't quite a labor of love,
depends on mood and how I feel that day.  The end result makes it
worthwhile.  I had 2 dark beer batches, and felt glad when they were gone.
Currently drinking a Hefeweizen batch, will be very sad when it's finished.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:02:03 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
A lot of the reason I've been on hiatus with brewing the past few years is that my wife is out of work, and she's not a fan of the smell or me taking over the kitchen for the day.
I never understand this. You are brewing for max 5-6 hours. You can plan to start at a certain time. It's not like she's in the kitchen all day. This isn't the 1950s. The smell, I can kind of understand. But, dude, she has to understand this is your passion. There is ventilation, there are windows that can be opened.

Overall, I agree with earlier posts. Streamlining is key, clean as you go, standardize your process and recipes. I'm in the process of doing this now. Brewing should never be stressful. Granted, it can't always be fun, but you should never dread doing it.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »
I brew in my garage and my neighbor knows the smell - usually he waits until it dissipates and then comes over to have a post-brew beer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 04:40:43 am »
A lot of the reason I've been on hiatus with brewing the past few years is that my wife is out of work, and she's not a fan of the smell or me taking over the kitchen for the day.
I never understand this. You are brewing for max 5-6 hours. You can plan to start at a certain time. It's not like she's in the kitchen all day. This isn't the 1950s. The smell, I can kind of understand. But, dude, she has to understand this is your passion. There is ventilation, there are windows that can be opened.

Overall, I agree with earlier posts. Streamlining is key, clean as you go, standardize your process and recipes. I'm in the process of doing this now. Brewing should never be stressful. Granted, it can't always be fun, but you should never dread doing it.

For what it's worth, and I have no vested interests.
Completed brewing a second batch of 100% http://www.epiphanymalt.com/ ordered from
https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com
Both batches were 41% Epiphany Modern Pilsner, 41% Epiphany Vienna, & 18% Epiphany Munich.

Wife and I both agreed, boiling wort with these malts, don't smell as pungent than all malts priorly used.
First time using these malts. Both batches are still in fermenter, not yet bottled or tasted.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:36:22 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 05:01:07 pm »
Not really having a separate brewing area has been a big challenge.

I feel your pain. I brewed in a carport for years. I was out of the sun, but the stifling heat in summer and the cold drafts in winter played hell on me. In 2015 I lucked into a house that has a 10 X 10 alcove off the garage. I don't know what it's supposed to be for, but it's a perfect brew area!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!