Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help regarding "tangy" flavor in a mild  (Read 1951 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Need help regarding "tangy" flavor in a mild
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »

That's an under-mineralised profile for any kind of British beer. To give one example, Murphys, one of the main labs in the UK suggest for mild (their column headings are wonky) :

Ca= 100 / Mg = 10 / Na = / SO4 = 150 / Cl = 200 / HCO3 = 50

As you can see, they suggest at least 100ppm calcium and 200ppm chloride for all British styles, and 100-400ppm sulphate depending on style. US ideas on water chemistry for British styles are a bit strange.

Admittedly this is merely a bit of nitpicking here, but the suggested water profile as seen above can only be made to be potentially real (I.E., to exhibit cation/anion balance) if the suggested sodium (which was left blank) is a whopping 87 mg/L (ppm).
87ppm of sodium is far from a whopping level. Unless your palate is super sensitive to sodium, you'd be hard pressed to pick anything up other than maybe a slightly enhanced malt flavor at that level. I think brewers are far too afraid that even a low level of sodium will ruin their beer. I target 60-75 ppm in most beers because I think it enhances flavor at that level. Sort of like salt in bread making. You don't want your loaf to taste salty, but something would certainly seem missing if you didn't add any.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer