Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are there advantages for keeping beer in primary for longer than necessary?  (Read 840 times)

Offline itsjoao

• 1st Kit
Hey guys, im fermenting a double ipa, and i wanna know if there are any upsides for keeping an IPA in primary even after airlock activity is done and FG is reached. My plan was to ferment at primary for 7 days, rack to secondary, Dry hop for 4 days and cold crash. Any help?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Some folks leave it on the yeast after fermentation is complete to do some sort of clean up. I believe there is no need to leave beer in the fermenter after fermentation. In fact I believe it can do more harm than good. I like to get it in a pressurized keg to ensure air doesn’t get to it and get it cold so any air that inadvertently does get to it will be slow to cause damage.

However, it sounds like you are going to transfer to secondary to perform some specialty process on it. In that case I can see leaving the beer in a secondary as long as it’s airtight. I like to use a pressurized keg as a secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My beers often stay in the fermenter 9-10 days after fermentation finishes. I have to wait for an empty keg.

I don’t use a secondary as that extra transfer can oxidize the beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
You can "probably" leave it up to 6 weeks if cool. There's not a lot of osmotic pressure that will break down the yeast. I always leave my beers for a few to several days after fermentation is over mainly to cold crash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
No there is no advantage.  Some people say the yeast will "clean up", but if there are no fermentables left that won't happen.  But there's also no harm in leaving it for a while longer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
When I posed a similar question to the brewmaster at my local craft brewery, he stated at the home brewer level, there was more risk of infection transferring to a secondary than any perceived benefit. Since then, I’ve routinely kept my IPAs in the primary for 2-3 weeks and my dark beers at least 4 weeks. This includes a 41 point award winning porter. So, I think he gave some good advice. I will add one caveat. I use conical fermentors so the surface area of the trub is significantly less than a carboy, which could yield different results.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa