Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Born to be Wild  (Read 2187 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Born to be Wild
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 08:04:51 am »
Thanks guys!  It is nice to see a few of the old regulars on the site.  I am hoping to start brewing again one day, but it does not fit my lifestyle at the present time.  Hopefully, I will find time to start brewing again after I retire in a couple of years.

Can't wait to see you dust off the stirplate and get back to it.

;D

In case you didn't realize it, Mark is the guy who got us to stop usong stir plates!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 08:06:38 am »
Thanks guys!  It is nice to see a few of the old regulars on the site.  I am hoping to start brewing again one day, but it does not fit my lifestyle at the present time.  Hopefully, I will find time to start brewing again after I retire in a couple of years.

;D

In case you didn't realize it, Mark is the guy who got us to stop usong stir plates!

Stir plate? What's that?

;D
Ralph R.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 08:18:41 am »

I too am glad to see you back, Mark!  I have learned a lot from you in the past few years and hope to see you brewing again soon!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 08:29:22 am »

;D

That's the joke
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 08:32:37 am »

I was wondering what you were up to. Good to see you back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 08:38:56 am »
I've talked to several people who work in wild beer breweries. I ask how much gets dumped? The answers are always in the 25-40% range.

A barrel can have the odor of vinegar, nail polish remover, etc. and get dumped immediately. Someone in a cellar of a pretty well know brewery said they dumped an entire batch, as the owner could taste something he didn't like, but everyone else thought it was fine.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 09:03:54 am »

;D

That's the joke

Ya know, that's what I thought you were getting at, but I hadn't finished my coffee yet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 02:48:57 pm »
I haven't used a stir plate since Mark introduced the SNS info.  It is great to hear that things are well.  The bakers of sourdough won't know what hit them when he finishes his foray into sourdough bread making.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kestrel Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 12:44:33 pm »
I have not brewed since 2016, but I have been delving into sourdough lately.  Every sourdough culture is different due to native microflora.  What I learned after several attempts to create a healthy sourdough starter from scratch is that using whole organic wheat flour works a lot better than unbleached bread flour, which makes sense seeing that the bran contains most of the wild microflora. 

Some food for thought...

Something I tried that you may find entertaining when you start brewing again: If you spread your spent grain out on a rimmed cookie sheet and leave it in the oven on the lowest setting (mine is 190ºF) for 10-18 hours, occasionally (every 3-4 hours) giving it a gentle stir with a large fork, then run it through a food processor, you will get a kind of flour. You can use that for making a starter using that same procedure and it works really well. It also seems to be less prone to mold and contamination and more tolerant of a missed feeding long term. You can also replace up to 10% of your flour with the spent grain flour and it increased the nutritional value of the bread because of the higher protein content after mashing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:46:28 pm by phowson@gmail.com »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2020, 12:24:35 pm »