Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Invert Sugar now available in US!  (Read 2486 times)

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
Invert Sugar now available in US!
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:01:57 am »
We can now make all of the recipes featured on Ron Pattinson's "Shut Up About Barclay Perkins" "Let's Brew"
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

Invert sugar is fructose and glucose instead of sucrose. These sugars have a different mouth feel and taste then sucrose. They are easier for yeast to consume than sucrose.

Ingredients: raw cane sugar, water, phosphoric acid, baking soda

Available at Homebrewing.org:
https://www.homebrewing.org/search.asp?keyword=beckers

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Invert Sugar now available in US!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:09:25 am »
Thanks for the heads-up! Also, one can easily make their own invert sugar at home. I use "turbinado" sugar and a touch of lactic acid (which is on hand with my brew stuff anyway). Of course in buying the commercially produced sugars there's consistency in the color - degree of caramelization - whereas in making them at home I'm estimating when its reached the desired color. I've used my homemade invert in English ales. The Belgian candi sugars are also invert, though sometimes another sugar may be blended in.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:34:21 am »
Glad to see that. Matt Becker of Becker brewing is producing this. He showed me the steam jacketed kettle he had bought used, and would refurbish. He needed to find the right packaging and have it meet tamper safety requirements. Saw that label too.

Matt has helped sponsor Ron Pattinson trips to the US. A talk at Eastern Michigan U's fermentation school is part of that too.

Matt and several Ann Arbor Breweries have been doing historic beers from Ron's blog. He knew there was a market.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:43:52 am »
Glad to see that. Matt Becker of Becker brewing is producing this. He showed me the steam jacketed kettle he had bought used, and would refurbish. He needed to find the right packaging and have it meet tamper safety requirements. Saw that label too.

Matt has helped sponsor Ron Pattinson trips to the US. A talk at Eastern Michigan U's fermentation school is part of that too.

Matt and several Ann Arbor Breweries have been doing historic beers from Ron's blog. He knew there was a market.

Hopfenundmalz -  Cool! Sounds like you're "in the know". I've been following Ron Pattinson off and on for a while now and find his pursuit of historical recipes fascinating.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:16 am »

Hopfenundmalz -  Cool! Sounds like you're "in the know". I've been following Ron Pattinson off and on for a while now and find his pursuit of historical recipes fascinating.
I think he covered 3 days in MI.

Has it been 2 years?
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/05/michigan-day-one.html?m=1
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:15:25 am »
I remember reading that post of Ron's and was thinking that might be what you were referring to.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:48:23 pm »
I remember reading that post of Ron's and was thinking that might be what you were referring to.

Matt is also going to supply in Craft Brewery bulk sized packages for craft breweries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 02:59:04 pm »
Invert sugar has been available in the US for a pretty long time, you can get Lyle's Golden Syrup in most grocery stores. Simplicity Candi Syrup is another product that has been around for a while. That said, it's cool to see these other grades available here. I've used Lyle's in many of my English style ales over the years, but I can't honestly say that I've notice any real difference compared to normal table sugar. I am curious to see what these grades of invert are like. I use D-45 every now and then in non-Belgian styles for color and flavor, but these inverts might be more like what I'm looking for.

Now, Brewer's Caramel is an English product that I'd love to see available in the US. I sucked it up and paid for shipping to get some from a UK homebrew shop. I liked using it, but not enough to justify the extra cost.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 05:19:44 pm »
I've never been able to get my invert dark enough to be invert no. 3.  I am excited to try this in a dark mild.  I do think I was on my way to cracking the secrets of making invert syrup.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
I was pretty excited when I saw the add pop up on Ron Pattinson's blog. Even better the link is to a homebrew shop in my state. Then I saw the price. Yikes! $24/can... $8/pound plus shipping. Sugar In The Raw is only $4/pound. I can't justify paying double the price of what I can easily make at home.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
I was pretty excited when I saw the add pop up on Ron Pattinson's blog. Even better the link is to a homebrew shop in my state. Then I saw the price. Yikes! $24/can... $8/pound plus shipping. Sugar In The Raw is only $4/pound. I can't justify paying double the price of what I can easily make at home.

I've made my own invert and probably still will. I might buy one to support him.

Matt has to buy the sugar (not sure if he has bulk buys, i.e. let's say a Supersack, he told me one place sold by the semiload only), pay rent, energy, and the packaging. It is maybe cheaper than many honey varieties.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:52 pm »
Invert sugar has been available in the US for a pretty long time, you can get Lyle's Golden Syrup in most grocery stores. Simplicity Candi Syrup is another product that has been around for a while.

Except neither of them are the same as brewer's invert. Golden syrup is only about 56% invert, and UK brewers have a strong preference for cane sugar as opposed to candi which is made from beet.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 10:40:15 am »
i seen it available for many many years, its easy to make too, table sugar and some citric acid and a candy thermometer
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:13 am »
Available where Matty?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer