Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Invert Sugar now available in US!  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Invert Sugar now available in US!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 07:26:26 am »
Available where Matty?
morebeer,northern brewer, amazon, pretty much every online homebrew supply

I doubt you found it at either morebeer or northernbrewer... or any other online homebrew supply because it has not been available until the product mentioned in the OP. You may have found invert sugar at Amazon but it is for baking and only comes in a very pale color. You might be able to sub it for invert #1 but not #2, or #3. The other Amazon results when you search "invert sugar" are for Lyle's, candi and a variety of other sugars and syrups. None of which are the same as real brewers invert.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 07:31:33 am »
Available where Matty?
morebeer,northern brewer, amazon, pretty much every online homebrew supply

I doubt you found it at either morebeer or northernbrewer... or any other online homebrew supply because it has not been available until the product mentioned in the OP. You may have found invert sugar at Amazon but it is for baking and only comes in a very pale color. You might be able to sub it for invert #1 but not #2, or #3. The other Amazon results when you search "invert sugar" are for Lyle's, candi and a variety of other sugars and syrups. None of which are the same as real brewers invert.
i stand corrected, its candi sugars/syrups not invert sugar but what really is the difference in terms of the final beer?  i doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference if you split a batch and used candi in one an invert in the other
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 08:37:55 am »
i doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference if you split a batch and used candi in one an invert in the other

Citation needed.

Pretty much any British commercial brewer would disagree with you - they're different things. The processing is different, and if you try to process less refined beet sugar you get a cabbagey flavour that you don't get with cane.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:40 am »

i stand corrected, its candi sugars/syrups not invert sugar but what really is the difference in terms of the final beer?  i doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference if you split a batch and used candi in one an invert in the other

Have you ever read this. http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert

It cracks me up:

Why should you take the time to do this the Right Way?

No, anemia cane sugar isn’t the same. Shup.

No, look that rock @#$@# and candi (seriously with an “i”… you mean like strippers?) isn’t the same.

Jesus… I quote multiple homebrewing forum experts here: “You aren’t going to see any difference in taste.” and then “it adds nothing to a beer that plain cane sugar doesn’t.” HORSE s***. There just happens to be an entire industry and 100+ years of brewing history because it is a fancy way to get sugar into a beer? Again, HORSE. s***.

If you need more convincing, read the great articles on Barclay Perkins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 08:54:35 am »
i doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference if you split a batch and used candi in one an invert in the other

Citation needed.

Pretty much any British commercial brewer would disagree with you - they're different things. The processing is different, and if you try to process less refined beet sugar you get a cabbagey flavour that you don't get with cane.
i have used invert sugar before, granted it was homemade( could have made it incorrectly) and i have  also used candi sugar, the invert was not any different the candi syrup(beet sugar) but i never really cooked the invert to a really dark color i stopped at golden so maybe it did not invert fully, but i am no means a sugar expert so just posting my experiences, i would like to try some store bought invert and try it out
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle