Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidentally Mixed Star-San & OxyClean  (Read 2815 times)

Offline rylo1984

• 1st Kit
  • we'llbeseeinya
Accidentally Mixed Star-San & OxyClean
« on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:27 pm »
Hey guys,

I had some Star-San solution sitting in my keg while I wait until my beer is ready to keg and I accidentally poured about 2-3 gallons of OxyClean solution into it thinking it was Star-San solution (I have a 10 gallon keg).  Is my Star-San completely ruined and can I not count on it to sanitize my beer line in 1-2 weeks when I plan to keg my beer?

More importantly, is it dangerous to leave the Star-San and OxyClean combination in my 304 Stainless Steel keg for more than a few hours?

Thanks so much for your help.

/RyLO

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Accidentally Mixed Star-San & OxyClean
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:07:41 pm »
Hey guys,

I had some Star-San solution sitting in my keg while I wait until my beer is ready to keg and I accidentally poured about 2-3 gallons of OxyClean solution into it thinking it was Star-San solution (I have a 10 gallon keg).  Is my Star-San completely ruined and can I not count on it to sanitize my beer line in 1-2 weeks when I plan to keg my beer?

More importantly, is it dangerous to leave the Star-San and OxyClean combination in my 304 Stainless Steel keg for more than a few hours?

Thanks so much for your help.

/RyLO

IMHO you are screwed.  You've diluted the Star San so it's efficacy can't be counted on.  And, you've added something that'll need to be rinsed.  I'd say throw it out & start over. :(

-Rick
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »
I'd say throw it out & start over. :(

-Rick

+1, toss it
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:42:02 pm »
It's hosed - you've mixed an acid and a base, more or less neutralizing both and making the resulting solution ineffective at doing either job.  Dump it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:59 am »
BILLY MAYS SAYS "DUMP IT"

It's a good idea to keep a roll of masking tape and a sharpie around to avoid the random mixups. Label everything.

Ever watch cooking shows where someone confuses the salt with the sugar?  Notice what they do after that?  In the bin.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong