Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LalBrew Voss availability?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline nathanw

• 1st Kit
LalBrew Voss availability?
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:46:32 pm »
The Big Brew recipe for May 2 is out, and it calls for the Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale yeast.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/pangaea-proxima-polar-ipa/

Quick searching doesn't find US retailers that have it. Is it out there?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: LalBrew Voss availability?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:47:55 pm »
I wish they had two recipes this year. I don’t want to brew an IPA.

I would like to try the Voss yeast though.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:53:23 pm »
I’ve pledged to brew what I was planning to brew: Lil Bit More APA featuring Veteran’s Blend hops. I’ll lift a pint of it Memorial Day in honor of those who’ve gone before.

The only place that I’ve seen Lallemand’s Kveik is a 500g pouch from Scott Lab for $165.00. Uh...no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:42:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:27:34 pm »
   The Lallemand sales rep said she was going to send me a promo pack about 9 months ago, haven't seen it yet :(.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:23:19 am »
It's certainly available in the UK - perhaps they've had problems scaling demand, or there's some stupid certification issue, or it's just one of those things that the virus has disrupted the rollout.

There are plenty of other sources of Voss though - in fact White Labs have just released Stranda, Voss and Hornindal as WLP519-521, along with WLP518 Opshaug that they've been doing for a while.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 11:43:11 am »
   For credit where it's due, the Lallemand rep saw my post and contacted me regarding Voss. They didn't even receive it here in the states until January. Sounds like the combination of import problems, rearranging of distribution system and Covid are to blame for the lack of availability. She said the 500g bricks are readily available, but individual 11g sachets are limited to dealer packs of ~40 or 50, so as with everything else right now, I guess it's just a matter of be patient.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:53:29 am »
I wish they had two recipes this year. ...

Looks like they added another beer, (but it’s also an IPA).

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/quarantine-american-ipa/

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:12:45 am »
I wish they had two recipes this year. ...

Looks like they added another beer, (but it’s also an IPA).

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/quarantine-american-ipa/
I think I will brew something else. I haven’t decided what yet. I have brewed two CAPs in a row. So I will be needing something with color. Maybe a bitter.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:02:14 am »
Did anyone get the Lallemand LalBrew Voss Kveik Ale yeast? I see MoreBeer has it in 11 g packs now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 10:43:26 am »
  I did get 4 packs a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. My idea is to do a split batch of my Chile Lager with the usual 34/70 at lager temps and Voss at something over 70, but since I had just brewed the Chile a few days before the Voss arrived it'll be another month or so before the lager comes back around in rotation. I'm really curious to see how it does.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 10:05:46 am »
   So I finally got a chance to try the Voss, brewed a Marzen on Sat. and spilt the ferment between 34/70 and Voss. O.G. was 1.053, the 34/70 got a starter, the Voss I just dumped on the surface of the wort @ ~85*. The Voss hit final @1.011 & A.A. of 79% in 36 hours at 85* wort temp., which is well below the optimal temp of 95 - 104 that Lallemand lists on their website. I'm anxious to see how the finished beers compare to each other. The recipe was substantially modified from my previous Marzens, but I'm expecting the F.G. of the 34/70 to be in the range of previous versions, probably around 1.016 - 1.020.
   Sat in on a CBC online webinar yesterday about Kveik yeasts which was very interesting, one of the many interesting points was that the presenter recommended against using Kveik in lagers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 11:31:06 am »
   So I finally got a chance to try the Voss, brewed a Marzen on Sat. and spilt the ferment between 34/70 and Voss. O.G. was 1.053, the 34/70 got a starter, the Voss I just dumped on the surface of the wort @ ~85*. The Voss hit final @1.011 & A.A. of 79% in 36 hours at 85* wort temp., which is well below the optimal temp of 95 - 104 that Lallemand lists on their website. I'm anxious to see how the finished beers compare to each other. The recipe was substantially modified from my previous Marzens, but I'm expecting the F.G. of the 34/70 to be in the range of previous versions, probably around 1.016 - 1.020.
   Sat in on a CBC online webinar yesterday about Kveik yeasts which was very interesting, one of the many interesting points was that the presenter recommended against using Kveik in lagers.

I agree with that.  I have heard many times that kviek can be clean enough to do a lager, but I have yet to taste one
 that proves that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 02:33:48 pm »
I went to a tasting at a brewery under construction. They had several beers made with Kveik yeast including a CAP. They were all pretty good. The CAP was clean and hoppy as expected. It wasn’t the best ever but I enjoyed it.

I just purchased a pack of Lalbrew Kveik yeast. I am not sure what I will brew with it.

In the end, it may be Kveik is a good choice if you don’t have temperature control, but not as good as traditional yeasts when you are able to control fermentation temperature.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 02:53:14 pm »
In the end, it may be Kveik is a good choice if you don’t have temperature control, but not as good as traditional yeasts when you are able to control fermentation temperature.

That's pretty much the conclusion I reached
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 03:15:37 pm »

I believe that recommended range is for "traditional styles", which I would take to mean traditional Norwegian farmhouse ales. They list the whole range as "77-104°F". Omega lists their voss kveik as 72-98, the yeast bay lists it as 70-100F, Imperial as 65-100F, and Bootleg Bio as 75-98 F. I know NCYC found Voss to be a blend of 3 strains of S. cerevisiae, so I'm not sure if this due to different opinions, propagation methods, or if these are actually the same. I'm not sure if they've isolated a single strain from the blend or not.

I grabbed a packet or two as a backup if I lose my liquid cultures.

I also don't believe these strains are as clean as advertised, I think a more accurate term in my experience is "clean tasting in a hoppy beer". I'm running a side by side (OYL114 Bayern lager vs Bootleg bio Oslo) to see for myself. Oslo is supposed to be cleaner than Voss or other strains from what I'm told.