Author Topic: Re-opening  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Re-opening
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2020, 11:58:33 PM »
   Ya, I caught that about cell phone data but didn't consider it a red flag, I chalked it up to the fact that as insightful as he can be at times, he's probably the product of an urban life with no first hand experience living in "fly over country", so it may not have occurred to him that those of us who live in BFE have to cover a lot more ground every day. When I moved here 40 years ago the closest Micky D's was 130 miles away and people would actually drive it for a Big Mac attack, that casual attitude about distance is so culturally ingrained in this part of the country that even a pandemic isn't going to overcome it.
   Regarding unions, I spent 3 decades "working with my hands" and only rarely encountered union members, unless I was working out of state.  There in Chicago and the coastal metropolises union membership is much more prevalent and the unions subsequently more powerful than here in most of the non-coastal mountain west, and unions are always going to support the party on the left, even if their membership doesn't. With the rise to power of the Trump-inator it has been interesting watching the unions officially trying to continue to support the party that is beholden to them while so much of their membership militantly sports their MAGA hats and bumper stickers. Good sport in that if you have a warped sense of humor.
   Outside of eastern coal mining country I just don't know if there are many union employees in rural America, even in the areas where the vast majority of jobs are in industries that would traditionally be highly unionized. Here in Wyoming AFIK only a couple of the smaller coal mines and only one of the trona mines are union, very little of the construction is and absolutely none of the patch is. Needless to say, the overclass of ruling elites that Fareed talked about aren't held in very high regard 'round here.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:56:15 PM by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2020, 12:52:54 AM »
   Ya, I caught that about cell phone data but didn't consider it a red flag, I chalked it up to the fact that as insightful as he can be at times, he's probably the product of an urban life with no first hand experience living in "fly over country", so it may not have occurred to him that those of us who live in BFE have to cover a lot more ground every day. When I moved here 40 years ago the closest Micky D's was 130 miles away and people would actually drive it for a Big Mac attack, that casual attitude about distance is so culturally ingrained in this part of the country that even a pandemic isn't going to overcome it.
   Regarding unions, I spent 3 decades "working with my hands" and only rarely encountered union members, unless I was working out of state.  There in Chicago and the coastal metropolises union membership is much more prevalent and the unions subsequently more powerful than here in most of the non-coastal mountain west, and unions are always going to support the party on the left, even if their membership doesn't. With the rise to power of the Trump-inator it has been interesting watching the unions officially trying to continue to support the party that is beholden to them while so much of their membership militantly sports their MAGA hats and bumper stickers. Good sport in that if you have a sick enough if you have a warped sense of humor.
   Outside of eastern coal mining country I just don't know if there are many union employees in rural America, even in the areas where the vast majority of jobs are in industries that would traditionally be highly unionized. Here in Wyoming AFIK only a couple of the smaller coal mines and only one of the trona mines are union, very little of the construction is and absolutely none of the patch is. Needless to say, the overclass of ruling elites that Fareed talked about aren't held in very high regard 'round here.
An interesting take on things.  I have lived my whole life in the Chicago burbs so getting some insight from Wyoming is helpful and refreshing.  We're not just "one people" in this country.  I understand why people go into careers focusing on these various pieces of the country, how they impact everything else, the politics, the various views of the country, what is acceptable and what is not, etc.  I feel like I would like to travel the country in a Winnebago and make some videos highlighting how we're all here in the same place for better or worse and we're all different for better or worse.  I would rather sit and have a beer and a laugh with someone (even if we had opposing views on things) as opposed to arguing with them.  I guarantee that. 
Ken from Chicago

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
   Regarding unions, I spent 3 decades "working with my hands" and only rarely encountered union members, unless I was working out of state.  There in Chicago and the coastal metropolises union membership is much more prevalent and the unions subsequently more powerful than here in most of the non-coastal mountain west, and unions are always going to support the party on the left, even if their membership doesn't. With the rise to power of the Trump-inator it has been interesting watching the unions officially trying to continue to support the party that is beholden to them while so much of their membership militantly sports their MAGA hats and bumper stickers. Good sport in that if you have a sick enough if you have a warped sense of humor.
An interesting take on things.  I have lived my whole life in the Chicago burbs so getting some insight from Wyoming is helpful and refreshing.  We're not just "one people" in this country.  I understand why people go into careers focusing on these various pieces of the country, how they impact everything else, the politics, the various views of the country, what is acceptable and what is not, etc.  I feel like I would like to travel the country in a Winnebago and make some videos highlighting how we're all here in the same place for better or worse and we're all different for better or worse.  I would rather sit and have a beer and a laugh with someone (even if we had opposing views on things) as opposed to arguing with them.  I guarantee that.

Regarding union workers and their support for Trump, I personally know several Trump supporters who, like me, are members of a very powerful building trades union in Chicago.  These are fine workers with a very high skill level,  but they have succumb to the fear mongering in the media.  I won’t go into detail, but it’s real.  Scare tactics are being used by the media to manipulate a persons viewpoints.  Regarding our leadership, my experience is that our leadership supports political candidates who are “friends of labor” - period, full stop.  If a candidate is anti-collective bargaining, Republican or Democrat, then our leadership informs the membership.  The membership is still free to vote for whomever they choose.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:57:14 PM by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2020, 03:12:03 PM »

If you ever get yourself a Winne and are in the neighborhood, stop in for a beer or 12, I always have plenty - face coverings are optional and sometimes after dark we pee on the lawn cuz we're hicks and cuz we can ;D.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »

If you ever get yourself a Winne and are in the neighborhood, stop in for a beer or 12, I always have plenty - face coverings are optional and sometimes after dark we pee on the lawn cuz we're hicks and cuz we can ;D.

You wait til after dark?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »

You wait til after dark?

Yes, I'm kind of shy and bashful that way.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
Three takes from this thread:
1)  I agree, this thread is pleasantly civil, very impressed with the group discussion and exchange of ideas, much more civil than a work forum I often lurk on.
2)  I am in a union of 10,000 employees who are predominately Republican, yet very pro union which I find contradictory.  I chalk it up to people being against something unless it benefits them directly.
3) Peeing outside day or night is one of the greatest pleasures of living on a bit of land
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2020, 09:34:17 PM »
    It's really fun from a balcony ;).

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re-opening
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:05 PM »
1) +1

2) N/A

3) +1 (...in addition to getting to play, uh I mean work, on a tractor.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:51:00 PM by BrewBama »
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline a10t2

• Ask me why I don't like Chico!
    • SeanTerrill.com
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »
1) +1

2) I'm a brewer.

3) See (2). Trench drains for the win. :o
Sent from my Microsoft Bob

Beer is like porn. You can buy it, but it's more fun to make your own.
Refractometer Calculator | Batch Sparging Calculator | Two Mile Brewing Co.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2020, 01:44:09 PM »
    It's really fun from a balcony ;).
LOL.

That's like peeing in a pool... from the high dive.  :D
Ken from Chicago

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »
I grew up in a home with a single bathroom with my father, mother, grandmother, and sister. My father had a favorite place outside to piss on the side of the pack house. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »
I grew up in a home with a single bathroom with my father, mother, grandmother, and sister. My father had a favorite place outside to piss on the side of the pack house. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!
My sister and BIL live on 5 acres south of Atlanta.  Each night my BIL takes the dog out to pee before bedtime and he's been known to water the weeds as well.  It happens.  :P
Ken from Chicago

Offline dmtaylor

• Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
1) +1

2) I'm a Union steward for a group of engineers and IT guys.  Yes, those are facts.  I can count on one hand how many leftists there are in the membership.  Most are Trump apologetics or sympathizers.  I myself am a tree-hugging yet overall more right-leaning centrist.  Not that it matters.  Politics is for whiners and liars.  But I digress.

3) +1  Not sure I wanna poop out there though.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
Re: 2)  I was a union member for over 30 years.  Stagehands union.  Yiu would be gphard pressed to find a member,  at least in my local, that  wasn't liberal.  So I think it depends on what union you're talking about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell