Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast starter / water?  (Read 935 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
yeast starter / water?
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:01:37 pm »
   i have a paper on yeast starters. It ways for a 1000 ml starter I need 650 ml of water? Seems to me that if I want a 1000 ml starter I would need 1000 ml of water or more with boil off.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: yeast starter / water?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:06:36 pm »
Close enough.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:47:08 pm »
Maybe the paper assumes the starter is made with slurry, or other liquid with a volume close to 350 ml. If not, I'd use about a liter of water.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:53:14 am »
If you don’t have a good software package to calculate your starter size, get the free app: Mr. Malty.  It’s quite accurate and easy to use.

To make a 1000 mL starter, I would start with 1000mL of water - perhaps a fraction less because you will me adding a few ounces of DME, but close enough.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 08:35:33 am »
Here is how I have been doing it (full disclosure:  I am a bit anal about this).  I weigh out 100 grams of DME for each liter of water to make a starter that is 10 degrees Plato (1.040) which I have gleaned from literature and manufacturer's recommendations.  Let's assume a 1 liter starter (1.06 quarts). I fill the flask with maybe 700 ml of water (since the DME addition will increase the volume in the flask), heat it to slightly below boiling, add the DME, and swirl to dissolve it.  I then top up the flask to 1 liter with additional water.  That gives me the 10 degree Plato number I am looking for (within a small margin of error).

If that sounds like way too much work, you can keep doing what you are doing.  Your volume will be a bit more than 1 liter and your starter gravity will be slightly lower, but you will be close enough.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:11 am »
I measure out a qt. of water plus a little bit more.  I add 3 oz. of DME and boil it.  Works every bit was well as more complicated methods I've used before.  It's certainly nothing to stress over.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 08:29:42 am »
I usually add a few grams of food grade urea on the hot side, just to ensure the yeast has everything it needs.
Jim

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 08:30:50 am »
i do exactly what denny does and never have problems. SNS is the way, for me at least
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle