Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 74464 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #600 on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:18 pm »
lets see, unpopular opinion... Domestic "noble" hops are every bit as good as the classic german and czech nobles, and in my homebrewing experience they are usually better since they are fresher and in better condition.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #601 on: June 02, 2020, 08:44:08 pm »
lets see, unpopular opinion... Domestic "noble" hops are every bit as good as the classic german and czech nobles, and in my homebrewing experience they are usually better since they are fresher and in better condition.

Freshness, is the main thing that I think matters in almost all cases, grain, hops, etc. You have any favourite noble-style domestic hops? I recall really enjoying mt. hood once. Great hops, but there is always that temptation when making a continental style to get "the original hop"

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #602 on: June 02, 2020, 09:11:59 pm »

Freshness, is the main thing that I think matters in almost all cases, grain, hops, etc. You have any favourite noble-style domestic hops? I recall really enjoying mt. hood once. Great hops, but there is always that temptation when making a continental style to get "the original hop"
The domestic Saaz I got from Hop Heaven (eBay store) is awesome. I also really like the US Goldings from that store. They taste just as good as EKG to me.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #603 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:25 am »
^^^ I also bought US Golding from Hop Heaven and used them in a Strong Bitter along with some Styrian Celia Golding. Kegged this beer with some of both as dryhop. I have to say the US Golding aroma is stronger and taste great. The two Goldings along with some Willamette made a great Strong Bitter.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #604 on: June 03, 2020, 07:48:04 am »

The domestic Saaz I got from Hop Heaven (eBay store) is awesome. I also really like the US Goldings from that store. They taste just as good as EKG to me.
All his hops are amazing. His Sterling is incredible.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #605 on: June 03, 2020, 09:24:49 am »

Mt. Hood is wonderful. Like others have said in this thread, US goldings are great, and from what I understand alot of growers can barely given them away, so they are consistently available and they are not the hops that are left over after pros have gotten all the good stuff.
 Crystal is another hop I like, although it doesnt seem similar to european nobles as much, it just has its own distinct flavor that works in alot of beers