Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pina colada wheat beer  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Astrosurfer

• 1st Kit
Pina colada wheat beer
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:17:57 am »
Im going to make the Passionfruit-Mango Wildfire Wheat in the AHA recipes (all-grain), but instead Im going to add pineapple puree and lightly toasted coconut along with rum soaked oak chips. Here is my problem.  I want to balance the coconut and pineapple.  From what I have read online 1 pound of puree per gallon of beer (this will all be added in the secondary).  I'm making 2.75 gallons (just halved the recipe) to see how it turns out.  How much coconut is all over the place online from 1/4 pound to one full pound per gallon.  I know pineapple is a strong flavor.  I really don't like extracts so Im avoiding those.  Im trying to balance the pineapple and coconut.  Anyone have experience with this?

The oak chips I will probably only use 1 oz (the chips are soaking in rum) and no more than a few days as I want that to be a background taste no in front.

I know there is no right answer and if I ask 7 brewers I will get 7 different answers, but I trust people on this sight more than random websites. Any help is appreciated.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Pina colada wheat beer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:02:58 pm »
For my 6 gallon pineapple beer, I use 4 lbs of pineapple when pureed comes to 48 ounces.  I do use a little extract (15 ml) helps with the aroma.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
Re: Pina colada wheat beer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:49:37 am »
I just did a pina colada sour beer.  I ended up using 49oz of pineapple puree for a 5 gallon batch.  It definitely has pineapple flavor and I wouldn't call it overpowering.  It could maybe use a bit more.  I added coconut by making a coconut tincture soaking 6 oz of coconut flakes in rum.  I ended up with about 8 oz of tincture which I added to the beer.  It has faint coconut flavor but I would like a bit more next time.  I'm probably going to go with 12 oz or so next time and see what it tastes like then.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing