Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wondering about Great Western's Brumalt  (Read 1327 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
wondering about Great Western's Brumalt
« on: May 28, 2020, 08:33:06 am »
I got a sample of Great Western Malting's Brumalt and have tasted (chewed) the grain - now am wondering what the experience has been from anyone who's brewed with it as far as flavor contribution. The maltster describes its flavor as "tart, with a slight honey, stone fruit sweetness" and states "Tart, but slightly sweet, Brūmalt delivers a lively complexity not found in other malts; This vibrant malt was designed to punch up all your latest creations." In chewing the grain I definitely get a tangy tartness - sort of lacto I might say - and sweetness as well, like I'd expect from malt. So if you've used it can you give me an idea of how it can 'punch up' my beer and what to expect from it in a real application? Thanks in advance.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: wondering about Great Western's Brumalt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:05:08 am »
I've used it a lot.  I think I still have 10 lb. around.  I found that I had to realkky look for the "tart" and even then it might have been confirmation bias I sent some to Steve Ruch and I think he had similar feelings.  But I do like the rich flavor it adds.  I'd say use it in a beer where you can feature it to try it out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:12:13 am »
Thanks Denny. The part that worried me is the tartness I taste just chewing the grains and was wondering how much that shows through in a finished beer. I like the other flavors I'm getting from it - a little like honey malt perhaps. Based on what you're saying it sounds like something I might want to try to bring a little different dimension to a beer.  :)
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:45 am »
Thanks Denny. The part that worried me is the tartness I taste just chewing the grains and was wondering how much that shows through in a finished beer. I like the other flavors I'm getting from it - a little like honey malt perhaps. Based on what you're saying it sounds like something I might want to try to bring a little different dimension to a beer.  :)

Yeah that's the way I think of it.  Don't worry too much about the tartness.  Try it in something like an APA to get  a feel for it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:49:58 am »
I've used it a lot.  I think I still have 10 lb. around.  I found that I had to realkky look for the "tart" and even then it might have been confirmation bias I sent some to Steve Ruch and I think he had similar feelings.  But I do like the rich flavor it adds.  I'd say use it in a beer where you can feature it to try it out.
Neither my wife nor I could detect any tartness in the pale mild that I brewed with it. Next up on my schedule is a dark version of mild with it.
I agree with liking the rich flavor it adds. I'm thinking it could replace munich in some recipes, or maybe medium crystal.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women