Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dead keezer  (Read 874 times)

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
Dead keezer
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:39:44 am »
What a weekend my keezer died My question is Can I remove those kegs and storm at 68°For one week Does anyone see a problem with this ?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dead keezer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:32 am »
no problem
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:53:17 am »
Agreed, I don't believe there's any issue with that.  I've pulled (non-empty) kegs out of my keezer before.  Sometimes I've wanted to allow a beer to mature a bit longer at a temp closer to room temperature.  Other times I've needed the spot in the keezer for something else.  I don't think you need to have any concerns.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 03:35:51 pm »
Sorry for your loss.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

narvin

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:40:19 pm »
Just FYI if it's making a clicking sound you may be able to replace the start relay.  You can find a replacement part on a site like repairclinic.com

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:57:14 pm »
Just FYI if it's making a clicking sound you may be able to replace the start relay.  You can find a replacement part on a site like repairclinic.com
+1. I am surprised with the number of appliances that have a starter relay that goes bad. It’s an inexpensive part to try, and if you’re a novice (like me), you can watch a few videos and diagnose a bad relay with a multimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:43:18 am »
   In the mean time what's to be gained by removing kegs from a keezer that's still probably cooler than room temp? Depending on the size of the freezer, how full it is, ambient temp and how often it's opened even after dying freezers, especially larger chest freezers can often maintain an internal temp below freezing for as much as a few days.
   Your experience perfectly matches mine from 9 years owning an appliance store and dealing with all the service issues that entails. One of the first thing I learned is that the likelihood of an appliance failing is inversely proportional to the availability of service, but directly proportional to the urgency of immediate repair, hence, freezers and fridges are most likely to fail after 5:00 PM on Friday evening, and especially so if that Friday is part of a long holiday weekend. Believe me, I can appreciate your pain.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:27:55 am »
Consider ice bags in the freezer? Just a thought, if you prefer to keep the beer cool.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 01:53:55 pm »
I know in my neighborhood when one of mine dies I can just scoot it out to curb and put a free sign on it and its usually gone in 12hrs or less.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 06:13:17 pm »
Thanks Guys I was able to get a 2 tap kegerator which is being delivered on Friday. I got the kegs store at 67 degrees Thanks again. I had freezer for 9 years and got it used it did a great job