Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW recommended dose or not?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
PBW recommended dose or not?
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:06:38 pm »
I've heard some talk about the PBW directions is aimed at industrial use.

How do you guys measure out PBW?

I just eyeball it, and make sure there's no organic matter left over. For 6 gallon carboy it's recommending 4.5oz, but i never measure it and maybe use 3oz.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: PBW recommended dose or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:06 pm »
I just pour some into the lid and eyeball it about a tablespoon at a time. I find that a teaspoon per gallon works fine most of the time, but I use double that for kettles to help with the burnt on stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:31:49 am »
I purchased those small plastic containers made by Glad.  You find then in all the grocery stores.  They are about 2-1/4” in diameter and about 2” deep.  And, as it turn out, they hold exactly 5 oz. of PBW.  So, I load up all 6 of my containers and I’m good for several brews!  No scale necessary since they’re all the same size.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 05:57:58 am »
I purchased those small plastic containers made by Glad.  You find then in all the grocery stores.  They are about 2-1/4” in diameter and about 2” deep.  And, as it turn out, they hold exactly 5 oz. of PBW.  So, I load up all 6 of my containers and I’m good for several brews!  No scale necessary since they’re all the same size.
Mise en place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:39:17 am »
I use one of those blue measuring spoons that come with Oxyclean.  I just put two "spoonfuls" of PBW in three gallons of hot water and use that to clean my conical, pump, plate chiller during the brew and brew system afterwards.  Although I am not sure this is the recommended amount listed on the PBW container, it gets the job done and I use it on all my stainless steel equipment.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:30:00 am »
I believe I read on the spike website to start with 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and that’s what I’ve always used it seems reasonable and it’s easy to measure out with kitchen spoons. 

With regard to the comment about commercial use it doesn’t matter it’s scaled down to Homebrewers use but they’re using barrels of water to clean with and in a commercial setting.  I used used it once a month because it had anti-cleating agents in it and it did get the organic compounds off better than the caustic chemicals I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:09 pm »
+1 on the 1 tablespoon per gallon
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »
+1 on the 1 tablespoon per gallon
I've seen this in many places, but I have found that you can get by at a third of that concentration for most uses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 06:18:16 am »
Mise en place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I know, I’m a bit anal retentive.  👍🏼
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉