Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for a good welder to help me...  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Roberto

• 1st Kit
Looking for a good welder to help me...
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »
Hello all, my name is Roberto and I am new at this forum. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good welder or decent welding shop in the Denver area that would help me cut the top off my "legally" obtained 1/2 barrel keg shells. If any of you have used someone in the Denver area I would like to know where I can find them and price. Any information would be highly appreciated. Cheers!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: Looking for a good welder to help me...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »
Wecome to the board!

I don't know if you have a dremmel but I used the 1.5" EZ lock cuttoff wheels for metal. It took 3-4 wheels and a set
of ear plugs from work. A 5 gallon bucket placed on top of the keg, use a sharpie to outline the cut, and instead of
going all the way through, using the sharpie line as a guide I went about half way through the top, creating a groove.
That way, it seemed, the wheels lasted longer and the final cut takess less pressure.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Roberto

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
Thanks for the info. If I don't find any one that could help me then I'll try to do it myself the way you suggested. Thanks again.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:13 am »
hey Roberto, welcome to the Forum.  hiring a welder to cut your keg is unnecessary.  Dingo is right, using a dremel or some other cutting tool (i use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a skinny wheel on it) to cut the top out of you keg is inexpensive and the satisfaction of knowing you made your kettle yourself is a great feeling.  i used my angle grinder with the guard on using the guard up against the outer ring of the keg to guide it. if you have a harbor freight in the area you can get an angle grinder for about 17.00 and a pack of skinny wheels for about 5.00.  you can take a look at my facebook page for pictures of the new stand im building.  it has pictures of my kettels on it for a reference.  facebook.com/iceharborhomebrewshop
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline Roberto

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:56 am »
Thanks Ice harbor, I think I will try and do it myself. From what I hear is not that difficult. By the way, I tried to go to your facebook page but the link you posted did not work. Cheers and thanks for the info!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:56:51 am »
Since it hasn't been explicitly stated, make sure the keg is vented before you go cutting in to it!  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:07 pm »
Since it hasn't been explicitly stated, make sure the keg is vented before you go cutting in to it!  :)
Ooops should have mentioned that.

Oh and check the bottom rolled ring. drill a few holes in there too just the, ring not the keg. It could have
some moisture and if it is not vented the keg could fly...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Roberto

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:36 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I bought these kegs from New belgium brewery. They came without the valves, so they don't hold any pressure. Dingo, thanks for the heads up about the holes in the bottom ring. I'll be sure and do that. Thanks gain!!

Roberto

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:49:07 pm »
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com