Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: French Elixir Hop  (Read 1509 times)

Offline sbalovich

• 1st Kit
  • Brewin' in Alaska
French Elixir Hop
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:50:35 pm »
All,

Was wondering if anybody has any experience with the hop Elixir out of the Alsace region in France?  I've searched well the Google and haven't found much so far.  I've used a few other French Alsace region hops and most have been noble in nature and have served well in lagers and Belgian beers but this one struck me different:

"Elixir is a new and exciting hop variety developed in the legendary growing region of Alsace, France. Elixir is a robust and complex hop that offers unique aromas of cognac, leather, and tobacco that are backed by sweet citrus fruits as well rose and lovage. Elixir is well suited for darker styles but can also be incorporated into fruit-forward styles or even spicy saisons."

This description put me on a path to try the Elixir hop in my tried and true Strong Bitter with the cognac and tobacco standing out for me.  I feel this recipe (usually hopped less) will showcase the varietal well perhaps on a fitting stage.  We certainly shall see... I'll update as I go.

fairly typical strong bitter-
6 gallons into fermentor:
(efficiency is my typical 80-83%)
--------------------------------------

Est. Original Gravity   1.061
Est. Final Gravity       1.014
Est. ABV                   6.2%
Est. IBU                    45.7
Est. Color                  10.8  (SRM)

12 lbs          Maris Otter (TF)
.5  lbs          Extra Dark Crystal 120 (Simpsons)
.5                Crystal Light 45  (Crisp)

1 oz Elixir @ 60
1 oz Elixir @ 15
4 oz Elixir @ Whirlpool (@ Flame out)
2 oz Elixir @ Dry Hop (3 days)
Whirlfloc

1469 West Yorkshire (house yeast) (2 ltr starter active and added to fermenter)

Mash at 154 for 60 mins (plenty fermentable mash to get 76% attenuation'ish with 1469)
boil @ 60 mins
Ferment at 68F for 4 days then raise to 72F until FG is reached

Once again I usually do not hop this as aggressively and typically add more hops at 60 and 15 mins to achieve IBU's.   I just really wanted to see this hop well in a recipe I know very well. 

Once again I'll keep posting as I go... Brewing today.

Scott~
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:48:29 pm by sbalovich »
"There are many ways to brew successfully, so don't be fooled into thinking there is only one way to do it.  The goal isn't to learn to brew like me; It's to use my experiences as an example so you can develop your own personal style on your system"-  Gordon Strong

Offline sbalovich

• 1st Kit
  • Brewin' in Alaska
Re: French Elixir Hop
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:59:43 pm »
Also, I thought I'd add that when smelling sensing these hops I get almost a cross between a cascade and centennial.  Maybe not quite as pungent... but flowery and grapefruit are the first things out of my mind... These are perfumey for sure.  I then get the woody "darker" sense... more of a spice like a fresh fuggle.  These are certainly not Fuggles but after opening and letting my senses go... I'm even more optimistic in the thought of these in my strong bitter. 

Just thought I'd add that in case anyone is curious about Elixir.

S~
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:49:52 pm by sbalovich »
"There are many ways to brew successfully, so don't be fooled into thinking there is only one way to do it.  The goal isn't to learn to brew like me; It's to use my experiences as an example so you can develop your own personal style on your system"-  Gordon Strong

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:22:27 pm »
I haven't tried them but I've enjoyed what I've used and tasted of French hops so I would love to give them a whirl.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline James Jacobson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 04:48:38 pm »
Just picked up a half pound, planning to use either in a stout, or leaning towards a barleywine with espe kveik yeast if I can get my hands on some.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk