Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maximizing hop flavor  (Read 13444 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:52 am »
I have been getting amazing hop flavor by dry hopping for 48 hours at 35F.  Using cryo for that makes it even better.  I have pretty much stopped doing hop stands and whirlpool hops.
I'm going to have to find one of your IPA recipes and give this a try. I like my whirlpool hops but if that works for me.. hmm.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

FTR, this isn't in any of my published recipes.  It's something I've started doing recently with any IPA I make.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 10:56:58 am »
Ok, so I was already planning to do a riff on the Breakside IPA recipe posted at https://beerandbrewing.com/breakside-brewery-ipa-recipe/, swapping out the late/dry hops based on what I have and adjusting the grain bill for my system.

I expect to be putting 6 gallons into the fermenter and 5 ounces of dry hops (one ounce of which will be cryo). Is the process here to ferment to completion, then cold crash to 35F for a couple days, then add all 5 ounces, then keg 48-72 hours later? Could I split the difference and ferment the beer, add 2 ounces of dry hops for 5 days, then cold crash for 2 days, add 3 ounces of hops for 48-72 hours and then keg?

I have space in my lagering freezer, which is currently set to 34F, so this seems like something I can reasonably try in the near future.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 12:35:20 pm »
Ok, so I was already planning to do a riff on the Breakside IPA recipe posted at https://beerandbrewing.com/breakside-brewery-ipa-recipe/, swapping out the late/dry hops based on what I have and adjusting the grain bill for my system.

I expect to be putting 6 gallons into the fermenter and 5 ounces of dry hops (one ounce of which will be cryo). Is the process here to ferment to completion, then cold crash to 35F for a couple days, then add all 5 ounces, then keg 48-72 hours later? Could I split the difference and ferment the beer, add 2 ounces of dry hops for 5 days, then cold crash for 2 days, add 3 ounces of hops for 48-72 hours and then keg?

I have space in my lagering freezer, which is currently set to 34F, so this seems like something I can reasonably try in the near future.

The part I bolded is what I do.  Sure you could do it your way, but why?  If you read the article, you don't get anything more if you go for a longer period.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 03:08:45 pm »
Sure you could do it your way, but why?  If you read the article, you don't get anything more if you go for a longer period.

I guess I just thought that such a large dose of dry hops might absorb better in two doses and provide more rounded character at two temperatures, kinda like splitting a 6 oz whirlpool addition to two 3 oz additions at flameout/160F. But then I have nothing to base that off of. Have you done this cold and fast dry hop with big doses approaching 1 oz/gallon, or just the more standard .2-.4 oz/gallon?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 03:10:15 pm »
I thought 1oz a gallon was the standard

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:16 pm »
I have been getting amazing hop flavor by dry hopping for 48 hours at 35F.  Using cryo for that makes it even better.  I have pretty much stopped doing hop stands and whirlpool hops.
Tried this for the last few brews and it's been great. In the past I've tried earlier in fermentation to get biotansformation, but I think the aroma gets scrubbed out by the CO2 bubbling out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 08:00:06 am »

I try to stay below the 8 gr./L "Shellhammer Limit"

www.dennybrew.com

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2020, 08:26:59 am »
I've been seeing all these hazy homebrew recipes recently. I will not brew one, personally but I've seen some high dry hopping amounts lol

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:17 am »

Shellhammer limit = 1.1 oz/gal or 2.1 lbs/bbl.

1 oz/ gal is close enough IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2020, 08:51:28 am »

Yep!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2020, 09:09:49 am »

Yep!
IIRC, he states that the oils responsible for citrus saturate even lower (around 4g/L). Above that you can get additional herbal/tealike compounds, and more bitterness from polyphenols, up to 8g/L.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 09:12:07 am »

I am not dry hopping that high.  I use 4 oz of Amarillo hops in a 10 gallon batch with my Amarillo IPA and I get a nice aroma.  I am a bit leery of going to 1.1 oz/gal (11 ounces in 10 gallons)  because that would really clog up my racking port on my conical.  That said, the Shellhammer limit is a good thing to keep in mind.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 09:13:33 am »
+1.  4-8g/l

“Adding more hops by static dry-hopping does not simply lead to increased aroma intensity but also changes aroma quality in the finished beer. Dry-hopping rates >8 g/L lead to hop aromas that were more herbal/tea in quality than citrus. To maintain a more balanced hop aroma quality this study suggests using a static dry-hopping rate between 4 and 8 g/L.”

Offline tommymorris

Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »
Does Mr./Mrs. Shellhammer say anything about the gravity of the beer all that those dry hops are going in to?

I find my little American pales can’t handle 1 oz/gal. They would taste like hop juice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:28:51 pm by tommymorris »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 05:35:24 pm »
Does Mr./Mrs. Shellhammer say anything about the gravity of the beer all that those dry hops are going in to?

I find my little American pales can’t handle 1 oz/gal. They would taste like hop juice.
You say this like it's a problem?  ;D

But I think this information was geared towards getting the maximum amount of flavor from hops in your beer. If the beer you're brewing doesn't require maxed-out hop character, then I don't know if this particular bit of research applies.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer