Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maximizing hop flavor  (Read 13412 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2020, 07:17:58 pm »
Does Mr./Mrs. Shellhammer say anything about the gravity of the beer all that those dry hops are going in to?

I find my little American pales can’t handle 1 oz/gal. They would taste like hop juice.
You say this like it's a problem?  ;D

But I think this information was geared towards getting the maximum amount of flavor from hops in your beer. If the beer you're brewing doesn't require maxed-out hop character, then I don't know if this particular bit of research applies.
Yeah. It took me a minute or two after my post to figure that out.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2020, 07:47:51 am »
Does Mr./Mrs. Shellhammer say anything about the gravity of the beer all that those dry hops are going in to?

I find my little American pales can’t handle 1 oz/gal. They would taste like hop juice.
You say this like it's a problem?  ;D

But I think this information was geared towards getting the maximum amount of flavor from hops in your beer. If the beer you're brewing doesn't require maxed-out hop character, then I don't know if this particular bit of research applies.

Correct.  It was a recommendation for a maximum, not a minimum.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2020, 02:59:07 pm »
I just realized that the Waldo Lake Amber Ale-inspired beer I did on Memorial Day is ready for dry hops. I can try this technique sooner than expected. Using 3 oz of dry hops in a 5.75 gallon batch.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2020, 08:37:23 pm »
Trying this now. Just added 4 oz of hops to beer after crashing to 35f for a couple of days. Planning to keg in 48 hours. Hoping for good results.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2020, 08:01:06 am »
I wish I could cold crash my beer before dry hopping as Denny suggests.  My lagering keezere in in my basement.  The only thing I will carry down the stairs now are kegs of beer for safety reasons.  If I turned the walk-in cooler in my brewery down to 35 degrees, I would need take out a new mortgage on my house to pay the elctric bill!

For those reasons, I dry hop in the 60-65 degree range and it seems to work well for me.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2020, 08:22:44 am »
I wish I could cold crash my beer before dry hopping as Denny suggests.  My lagering keezere in in my basement.  The only thing I will carry down the stairs now are kegs of beer for safety reasons.  If I turned the walk-in cooler in my brewery down to 35 degrees, I would need take out a new mortgage on my house to pay the elctric bill!

For those reasons, I dry hop in the 60-65 degree range and it seems to work well for me.

That's what I was doing, too.  This is WAY better IMO.  OTOH, if I wasn't lucky enough to have glycol chilled conicals, I'd be right there with ya.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2020, 08:30:38 am »
Come to think of it I’ve always dry hopped cold in the keg.

I keg from the fermenter and then cold crash in the keg under CO2 pressure to reduce stress on my old fermentation fridge. I let the beer clear then dry hop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2020, 09:32:23 am »
Come to think of it I’ve always dry hopped cold in the keg.

I keg from the fermenter and then cold crash in the keg under CO2 pressure to reduce stress on my old fermentation fridge. I let the beer clear then dry hop.

That's what I used to do, too.  I'd leave them in til the keg kicked.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2020, 06:59:28 am »
you leave the dry hops in the keg til it kicks? how long do your kegs normally take to kick?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2020, 08:20:29 am »
you leave the dry hops in the keg til it kicks? how long do your kegs normally take to kick?

I used 2, for 2-3 months.  No problems with that, but I no longer do it after discovering the 35F/48 hour method.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2020, 08:33:56 am »
so you just add the dry hops cold for 48 hours then pull the bag? or do you keep it closed and jump to a fresh keg?
Matty

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2020, 09:16:13 am »
so you just add the dry hops cold for 48 hours then pull the bag? or do you keep it closed and jump to a fresh keg?

These days I use a glycol chilled conical. I crash to 35 for 3-5 days, dump the yeast, add dry hops for 48 hours, then keg.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2020, 09:21:55 am »
sweet setup man, im about to brew a ipa this weekend along with a few other beers and im gonna try this cold dry hop technique, right on thank you
Matty

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2020, 09:27:30 am »
To keep from opening the keg (again), you can put a short leash on the bag so as you drink, the level of the beer drops below the bag and as a result you’ve removed the bag.  Rig it to where in ~1 gal your hops are high and dry.

I believe my lower flavor was a result of not using enough hops in my dry hop. I used more in my current Pale Ale on tap and it worked great.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2020, 09:46:50 am »
To keep from opening the keg (again), you can put a short leash on the bag so as you drink, the level of the beer drops below the bag and as a result you’ve removed the bag.  Rig it to where in ~1 gal your hops are high and dry.

I believe my lower flavor was a result of not using enough hops in my dry hop. I used more in my current Pale Ale on tap and it worked great.

great idea, dental floss seems perfect for that
Matty