Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Maximizing hop flavor  (Read 13391 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Re: Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2020, 10:26:45 am »
so you just add the dry hops cold for 48 hours then pull the bag? or do you keep it closed and jump to a fresh keg?
To keep from opening the keg (again), you can put a short leash on the bag so as you drink, the level of the beer drops below the bag and as a result you’ve removed the bag.  Rig it to where in ~1 gal your hops are high and dry.

I believe my lower flavor was a result of not using enough hops in my dry hop. I used more in my current Pale Ale on tap and it worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if I were to use this technique, dry hopping in the keg but not wanting to leave the hops in contact, my question is what do you tether the free end of the "leash" to?  How to get the bag suspended in the keg - trap the end of your floss/string under the O ring of the keg lid or tying it somewhere???
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:30:51 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2020, 10:49:48 am »
so you just add the dry hops cold for 48 hours then pull the bag? or do you keep it closed and jump to a fresh keg?
To keep from opening the keg (again), you can put a short leash on the bag so as you drink, the level of the beer drops below the bag and as a result you’ve removed the bag.  Rig it to where in ~1 gal your hops are high and dry.

I believe my lower flavor was a result of not using enough hops in my dry hop. I used more in my current Pale Ale on tap and it worked great.

So if I were to use this technique, dry hopping in the keg but not wanting to leave the hops in contact, my question is what do you tether the free end of the "leash" to?  How to get the bag suspended in the keg - trap the end of your floss/string under the O ring of the keg lid or tying it somewhere???

I used to use monofilament and tie it to the top of the diptube.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2020, 10:51:52 am »

I used to use monofilament and tie it to the top of the diptube.

Denny, that makes sense. Thanks!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2020, 12:52:15 pm »
I use unwaxed dental floss and tie it the the keg handle.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2020, 08:55:57 pm »
Trying this now. Just added 4 oz of hops to beer after crashing to 35f for a couple of days. Planning to keg in 48 hours. Hoping for good results.

Just kegged. A bit more hop matter than I’m used to from my normal practice but no biggie. Flavor of sample seemed great but too early to tell on aroma. It would be nice to standardize on a dry hop procedure. I’ve been all over the place....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2020, 07:54:38 pm »
Should have tried this with a recipe I was familiar with. Disappointing results but I think it’s due to the hop varieties that I used.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2020, 10:54:03 am »

3) Warmer/longer whirlpools or hop stands get you more flavor. I've tried cooler temps and shorter times, but I get noticably more flavor from a 90 minute hop stand that is kept hot. I generally add the hops at flameout, after all boiling activity has stopped, and turn the heat back for a bit on when it dips close to 170F.

I am trying the 90 min hop stand for today’s brew. It’s the longest hop stand I’ve held. My induction cooktop has a temp hold feature that I’m using for the first time. At 80*C I noticed it likes to let the temp drop a little too far so I bumped it up to 100*C which seems to be holding the wort ~160-170*F.

I’ll most likely couple that with a 3 day cold dry hop once the beer clears. ...but I’ll taste it without the dry hop to see if today’s effort had any effect.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:37:06 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:23 am »
A pro friend has talked about his IPA would lose aroma in the Brite serving tank as it went into the increasing headspace.

Another way to suspend a hop bag in a corny is to use plumbers tape. Thinner than floss, no leaks, in my experience.

You can buy lids that have a tab welded on the bottom so that you can tie off there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2020, 11:44:11 am »
I just gave the 48-hour cold (38F) dry hop thing a try. Something I noticed is that my hop pellets hadn't really finished breaking up by the 48 hours. They were mostly ragged blobs (looks like a 6 on the Bristol scale). Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to be shaking/swirling my fermenter for this to work?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2020, 12:02:45 pm »
I used 36 hrs and ended up with completely broken up hops. Maybe hop variety and/or vendor has an impact. I used Falconers Flight from More Beer.

I did a 20 min hop stand with that batch. I get good flavor but I am hoping for more. 

I did a 90 min hop stand with my on deck homage to Four Wives. I haven’t tapped it yet but looking forward to  seeing if it made a difference. I want to try it before I dry hop, bottle some, then dry hop and compare the two.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2020, 12:14:42 pm »
I used 36 hrs and ended up with completely broken up hops. Maybe hop variety and/or vendor has an impact. I used Falconers Flight from More Beer.

I did a 20 min hop stand with that batch. I get good flavor but I am hoping for more. 

I did a 90 min hop stand with my on deck homage to Four Wives. I haven’t tapped it yet but looking forward to  seeing if it made a difference. I want to try it before I dry hop, bottle some, then dry hop and compare the two.

Is completely broken up good or bad for you? Falconer's Flight is produced by Yakima Chief and is in honor of an old friend of mine who is no longer with us.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2020, 12:28:20 pm »

Is completely broken up good or bad for you? Falconer's Flight is produced by Yakima Chief and is in honor of an old friend of mine who is no longer with us.
It would be good for me. I'm assuming that if the pellets haven't fully dispersed, then the oils that I want in my beer are still trapped inside.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2020, 12:34:42 pm »

It would be good for me. I'm assuming that if the pellets haven't fully dispersed, then the oils that I want in my beer are still trapped inside.

Yeah, same here.  I assume the same for Brewbama, but wanted to be certain.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2020, 02:32:16 pm »
Yep. Good for me. I think it means I got the most contact between hops and beer.

I like the Falconers Flight and plan to use Falconers Flight 7C in an upcoming brew.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:55:30 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2020, 03:01:35 pm »
Yep. Good for me. I think it means I got the most contact between hops and beer.

I like the Falconers Flight and plan to use Falconers Flight 7C in an upcoming brew.

Like the Veteran's Blend, they do a different blend every year.  I find the Yakima Chief pellets dissolve a lot better than some others I've used.  I think it's because of the cooling they use when they make them.

www.dennybrew.com