Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maximizing hop flavor  (Read 13201 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Maximizing hop flavor
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2021, 03:46:07 pm »
So, I want to dry hop my latest beer, using the cold and short method as described in this thread, but I’m wondering how much is really necessary to achieve the best results.  I see that maximum is suggested to be about an ounce per gallon, but what about less than that?
I have what is called either a “Cold IPA” or a “New World Pilsner” - 80% Best Pils, 20% corn grits (cereal decoction) with Mosaic and Citra hops at about 60IBUs at 1.070, fermented with Diamond Lager.  It is currently cold crashing.
Since I have two fermenters, each with 5 gallons, I want to dry hop cold with Citra in one and Mosaic in the other. 
Do y’all think 2 or 3 ounces each would be enough to get some good hop flavor?
Yes, that is certainly plenty depending on what you're shooting for. 1-2 oz/gallon gets you that saturated, NEIPA "juicy" type dry hop character, but you can still get plenty of dry hop character at lower usage rates.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »
Thanks for all of your commentary everybody this is a great thread I've enjoyed reading through the posts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2021, 08:16:30 am »
For those wanting to get into this a bit deeper, Drew and I will be co hosting this on Thursday...

https://hopandbrewschool.com/event/advanced-products-for-homebrewing/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2021, 08:32:58 am »
For those wanting to get into this a bit deeper, Drew and I will be co hosting this on Thursday...

Will that be posted on youtube or somewhere else later? I've got a conflict at that time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2021, 09:03:04 am »

Will that be posted on youtube or somewhere else later? I've got a conflict at that time.

Yeah, I think it will.  Check the hopandbrewschool website for info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell