Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygenate with pure O2 for wine making?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Oxygenate with pure O2 for wine making?
« on: May 31, 2020, 06:00:29 pm »
Home brewer looking to make a batch of wine. I have 5 gallons of juice that’s been stabilized and all it needs is yeast/nutrient.

Does oxygenating juice give yeast the same benefits of oxygenated wort?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Oxygenate with pure O2 for wine making?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:37:18 pm »
Yes, definitely.  Using pure O2, you shouldn't need to hit the batch with it for very long.  I've seen a couple places that say about 30 seconds.  With 5 gallon batches (of mead) I usually just use a vigorous stir for a handful of minutes to introduce oxygen.  When I do 1/2 barrel batches, I will bump it up to using O2.

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:38:28 am »
Thanks!

Is there any benefit to doing a few hits with pure O2? I was thinking of hitting it again 12 hours after pitching

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:03 am »
Thanks!

Is there any benefit to doing a few hits with pure O2? I was thinking of hitting it again 12 hours after pitching
This isn't specific to wine, but I do hit my high gravity beers (over 1.090-1.100 or so) with an extra shot of O2 about 18 hours after pitching. I do feel like I get better attenuation in those instances.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:39:45 am »
A good point was brought up by erockrph.  What is your projected starting gravity?

If your batch isn't getting shaken up or stirred to get some oxygen into it, then yes, a hit from an oxygen tank will get it in there.  I've never used a second dose of oxygen when making mead.  I don't mean to imply this would be a bad thing, I just haven't seen the need.  Most of my batches have an OG around 1.125.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:21:23 am »
A good point was brought up by erockrph.  What is your projected starting gravity?

If your batch isn't getting shaken up or stirred to get some oxygen into it, then yes, a hit from an oxygen tank will get it in there.  I've never used a second dose of oxygen when making mead.  I don't mean to imply this would be a bad thing, I just haven't seen the need.  Most of my batches have an OG around 1.125.
I don't for mead either, but I think I am probably mixing in a fair amount of O2 with my SNA additions, and probably even when punching down the cap on my melomels.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer