Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottle sanitizing  (Read 5220 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: bottle sanitizing
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:31 pm »
I make sure I rinse the bottles well after emptying them, then I just use the dishwasher on bottling day. I'll keep the dishwasher closed until I'm ready to fill. Sometimes I'll do an extra rinse cycle, if I'm feeling extra paranoid, and I always do a heated dry. I've never had a problem.

Offline amish electrician

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »
When I was bottling I'd keep the bottles rinsed well and usually just sanitize on bottling day using one of those pump sanitizers.  I would put the sanitized bottles upside down in the dishwashers and take 4-6 out at a time and put them on the counter to fill.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »
I have a "sanitize" feature on my DW. This approach will be tried this weekend.

A friend of mine swears by putting PBW into the soap dispenser, doing a full wash cycle, full rinse, and full heated dry with the "sanitize" feature on, then he pulls the bottles off the rack one by one while filling over the open door of his dish washer. 

His bottles are clean, sanitized and the mess is contained.

I think he is a genius... but I have had issues with my dish waster leaving gunk in my bottles from time to time.  I suspect that my issue is due to being on a well with hard water... and that has reduced the effectiveness of my dish waster to remove food particles from previous washings.  Hopefully your washer will perform!

Also, in my racks, I  cannot get 48 bottles to fit... so doing a full 5 gal batch is an issue.

Good luck

-- Wingnut - Cheers!