Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: filtering beer  (Read 2828 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
filtering beer
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:19:04 pm »
How do you filter beer? Is there an economical way to do it for 5 gallon batches?

I tried a coffee filter and it is sooooo slow.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: filtering beer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:48:41 pm »
How do you filter beer? Is there an economical way to do it for 5 gallon batches?

I tried a coffee filter and it is sooooo slow.

Using house filters seems to be gaining some popularity. http://www.lowes.com/pd_89376-59019-WHKF-DWHV_4294935907+4294965476__?productId=1201343&Ntt=water+filter&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Whirlpool_4294935907%2B4294965476__s%3FVa%3Dtrue%26Ntt%3Dwater%2Bfilter
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:24:29 am »
I don't anymore, but I used to use a ceramic water filter (0.5 micron) for rough filtration. I also used to be able to get DE filters through the college lab or pool supply which worked great for bright beer in a hurry. I'd say yeast selection, refrigeration & time are your friends.  ;)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:21 am »
When I filter, I use the plate filter, but the initial setup wasn't cheap and the filters aren't cheap.  So I only filter when it really, really matters.

Try fining instead.  I make mead, so I often use the same things.  They work on beer too.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:56 am »
I hate using it, because my girlfriend is a vegetarian and won't consume it, but gelatin works GREAT if you keg. That and a week at 32F before kegging and your beer will be clearer than 90% of commercial craft beer.

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »
I hate using it, because my girlfriend is a vegetarian and won't consume it, but gelatin works GREAT if you keg. That and a week at 32F before kegging and your beer will be clearer than 90% of commercial craft beer.

oh wow. i have never tried either. thanks!
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 06:28:15 am »

oh wow. i have never tried either. thanks!

I use gelatin.  Works great 99% of the time.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim