Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Home, New Brewery - Advice on transition from Old to New  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Chaps

• 1st Kit
Hey all,

I'm sure this has been asked before on this forum,,but I moved into a new place and have a sweet spot in the basement to create a home brewery from scratch...I have been brewing for over 20+ years using my Gott cooler and ceramic pots and turkey burner....now thinking of a new brewery with new equipment...with so many different choices, how can you choose a decent, reliable system?  I am open to ideas that are reasonable in price and will make my brew day easy and fun...thinking about a 10 gal RIMS system...

Thanks in advance!!!
Curt - Batavia IL

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New Home, New Brewery - Advice on transition from Old to New
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:05:49 am »
Go electric!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 04:08:00 pm »
Electric for sure.

Frankly, if you are going with 10 gallon batches, I would consider a 240 volt all in one system, like the bigger Grainfather, the Brewzilla or one of the new component built systems like SS Brewtech or Spike Brewing or similar.  Add a game hoist for pulling up the grain basket and you are pretty well set.

I have the Anvil Foundry for 5 gallon batches and really like it on 240V...my larger set up is a 9 gallon HERMS liquor tank with immersion coil (3500W element), 20 gallon InfuSSion Mash Tun, with an 18 gallon Stout Tank (all in one using only the main kettle anymore).  I use 400 micron Brew Bags for all of my brewing to eliminate grain pushing through on recirculation.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 09:32:22 am »
   I've never been a fan of heating anything with electricity, but in a basement, short of doling out the cash for a hood and exhaust system the turkey fryer thing isn't a good plan, electric's probably the easiest way to go.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:24:29 am »
I am another vote for electric. I used to use propane but now that I can control the exact wattage for the boil and the RIMS tube I can more precisely predict results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:40:07 pm »
if i was you i'd go electric if you have the ability, i'm friggn lucky cause my stove is powerful enough to boil 7.5-8 gallon boils no problem if your stove can handle use that and save a few G's
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:42:19 pm by MattyAHA »
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 11:35:06 am »
Also, I forgot to mention that I would consider the use of the steam condensers now being used by many homebrewers - a great way to minimize steam issues indoors.  I haven't gone that route yet, but I am looking into it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 12:56:30 pm »
Also, I forgot to mention that I would consider the use of the steam condensers now being used by many homebrewers - a great way to minimize steam issues indoors.  I haven't gone that route yet, but I am looking into it.
I built and use a steam condenser and heat with a 240V commercial induction burner- was able to move my brewing indoors during a renovation of my own.  These two pieces are all I changed to my set-up; I'd rather spend my funds on ingredients than on equipment.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 10:02:23 am »
Opening your own brewery will cost a lot more than you expect, and you'll run into unforeseen costs quite early.

Then it's a good thing that's not what he intends to do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 09:10:26 am »
Opening your own brewery will cost a lot more than you expect, and you'll run into unforeseen costs quite early.

Then it's a good thing that's not what he intends to do.

😂