Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: temp ramping  (Read 1174 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
temp ramping
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:26 am »
brewed a lager on 5/23/20, wlp830 pitched cold @46F and let it warm up to 48-49F, fermentation was visible by 5/25 so i let it ride at 48-49F for 7 days, yeast activity (swirling around),krausen still visible today 6/2, yesterday i pulled the probe off the side of the fermenter and dialed up my temp controller to 55F gonna leave it for another few days before increasing temp again to 60F, question is, should i have waited to raise the temp once the activity was slower, i know i should have checked gravity but been real busy lately so i took a leap of faith
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: temp ramping
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:04 am »
I think you're fine.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:47 am »
Assuming that this is not a high gravity beer, I think you’ll be fine. I’m sure that the majority of the fermentation is already complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 08:04:32 am »
Assuming that this is not a high gravity beer, I think you’ll be fine. I’m sure that the majority of the fermentation is already complete.

1.060 overshot, my target was 1.055
Matty

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 08:05:05 am »

1.060 overshot, my target was 1.055

No problem

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 08:07:34 am »
very true, best case it turns out, worst case i learned a lesson to never slack off on gravity readings
Matty

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:43:02 am »
very true, best case it turns out, worst case i learned a lesson to never slack off on gravity readings

I confess I seldom take gravity reading before adjusting temp, especially if I'm raising the temp

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 05:13:40 am »

I confess I seldom take gravity reading before adjusting temp, especially if I'm raising the temp

I agree, but lately I have been using a Tilt hydrometer and it has taken away almost all concerns about when to ramp or allow it to rise to 60 or so to finish.  Many brewers would be surprised how quickly fermentation nears completion. It allows for subtle lager experiments with spunding, as well or late pressure fermenting in primary.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:52:04 am »

with ales i hardly ever but i find lagers a bit tricky personally, cause they move so slowly compared to ales its hard to call it by eye
Matty

Offline BrewBama

temp ramping
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 09:09:39 am »
I think some lager yeast do move glacially slow but I’ve been knocking out lagers in ~6-7 days with a 1g/liter pitch of W34/70 @59*F.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
I think some lager yeast do move glacially slow but I’ve been knocking out lagers in ~6-7 days with a 1g/liter pitch of W34/70 @59*F.

I've been doing the same with about half that amount.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:27 am »

I've been doing the same with about half that amount.

I have found that 3 packs of S-189 (33 grams total) in 10 gallons (approx. 40 liters) of wort will finish in about 5 days at mid 50'sF, with rise to 62F allowed at or about 3-5 points of expected FG. YMMV
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

temp ramping
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:32 am »
My experience has been ~10-12 days if I halve the pitch with 34/70 (.5g/liter). It seemed to just plod along.