Author Topic: "House" yeast strains  (Read 2686 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: "House" yeast strains
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
I am trying this with Wyeast London III (the "juicy" yeast, though I like it for dark beers), Imperial Joystick (great all-around American ale strain) and White Labs Ceske Budejovice lager yeast right now. Eventually, I will likely also do it with Imperial "Pub," as I like having that around. Even with these guys saved in little jars, I still find myself reaching for BRY-97 and US-05 because they are so damn convenient.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »
I've been brewing on average 20 - 5 gallon batches per year for the past few years, I've settled in on maybe two yeast strains for particular styles, but enjoy trying other yeasts that I've not used in the past.  Not interested in harvesting yeast, so no cost savings in it for me.

@erockrph, I've used the Lalbrew NEIPA dry yeast with my standard NEIPA recipe and it rocked, I would not hesitate to use it again.

My 2 cents on house yeasts though is that when a craft brewer uses the same house yeast on ALL of their IPA's, they all taste the same even though the malt bill and hop bill are different. I get cost savings, but I enjoy tasting creativity more which leads me to drinking more.

From my experience that's true for some craft brewers as well, at least to the extent that all their beers will seem to have a common thread taste-wise.
Laaaaaaguuuuuuuniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas......................................

As far as house yeasts, I don't have many currently as I've always switched my yeast up. But lately I've really been wanting to get a really consistent process and list of ingredients that I use and just brew the beer I like instead of making something "that sounds good at the time" and then it not turning out and having 5 gallons of something I don't really enjoy on hand. Kind of done with that. I'm trying out S-189 for the first time in a pilsner right now. That may become my house lager yeast if it's as good as everyone says it is. Otherwise, I've always liked 34/70/the liquid variants. I wish there was a dry version of WY1450, like someone else said. That yeast is awesome. Otherwise, I'm using US-05 for most ales, Irish ale yeast for UK styles and Omega Hornindal kveik for the same ale styles but for the dead of summer.
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
I've been brewing on average 20 - 5 gallon batches per year for the past few years, I've settled in on maybe two yeast strains for particular styles, but enjoy trying other yeasts that I've not used in the past.  Not interested in harvesting yeast, so no cost savings in it for me.

@erockrph, I've used the Lalbrew NEIPA dry yeast with my standard NEIPA recipe and it rocked, I would not hesitate to use it again.

My 2 cents on house yeasts though is that when a craft brewer uses the same house yeast on ALL of their IPA's, they all taste the same even though the malt bill and hop bill are different. I get cost savings, but I enjoy tasting creativity more which leads me to drinking more.

From my experience that's true for some craft brewers as well, at least to the extent that all their beers will seem to have a common thread taste-wise.
Laaaaaaguuuuuuuniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas......................................

As far as house yeasts, I don't have many currently as I've always switched my yeast up. But lately I've really been wanting to get a really consistent process and list of ingredients that I use and just brew the beer I like instead of making something "that sounds good at the time" and then it not turning out and having 5 gallons of something I don't really enjoy on hand. Kind of done with that. I'm trying out S-189 for the first time in a pilsner right now. That may become my house lager yeast if it's as good as everyone says it is. Otherwise, I've always liked 34/70/the liquid variants. I wish there was a dry version of WY1450, like someone else said. That yeast is awesome. Otherwise, I'm using US-05 for most ales, Irish ale yeast for UK styles and Omega Hornindal kveik for the same ale styles but for the dead of summer.
I am similar. Over the last year or so I just been brewing 4-5 recipes I like over and over. I have brewed yellow beer then amber beer then yellow beer then amber beer, ...

For yellow it’s mostly Pilsners. I am loving CAPs right now. I mix in a blonde ale occasionally. I like Diamond Lager and 34/70 yeast for these. I want to come up with a good Dortmunder.

For amber it’s APA, American Ambers, and bitters. I mix up the hops for variety.   I also vary yeast here. I have used BRY-97, MJ M44, Lallemand Kölsch, and MJ M36. I like all of these. I am using the new CALI by CellarScience right now.

What I find is I always like these beers. I can get variety elsewhere 1 pint at a time. I hate when I have a batch full of mediocre beer because I really don’t like the style or I built a bad recipe.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »

What I find is I always like these beers. I can get variety elsewhere 1 pint at a time. I hate when I have a batch full of mediocre beer because I really don’t like the style or I built a bad recipe.

This is why I brew few IPA's. So much more to drink that you can't find regularly.. but I do love making pale ales.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Sounds like I need to get my hands on 1450.  I sadly have not tried that yet.  I'm learning I need to try a few more yeasts before I really get settled in on what to use on a regular basis.

I think it is always good to have a few packets of dry yeast around too.  Its always good to be able to brew a beer together at last minutes notice with what ingredients you have around.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »
Sounds like I need to get my hands on 1450.  I sadly have not tried that yet.  I'm learning I need to try a few more yeasts before I really get settled in on what to use on a regular basis.

I think it is always good to have a few packets of dry yeast around too.  Its always good to be able to brew a beer together at last minutes notice with what ingredients you have around.
1450 is good but i find it leaves a slickness that i'm not too crazy about but i only brewed with it once so could have been the recipe which was tasty mcdole's  janet's brown ale
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »

1450 is good but i find it leaves a slickness that i'm not too crazy about but i only brewed with it once so could have been the recipe which was tasty mcdole's  janet's brown ale

To me it's more of a velvety smoothness than a slickness
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 05:56:16 PM »

gotta try it again, whats a great recipe you recommend for your favorite 50?
Matty

Offline BrewBama

"House" yeast strains
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
I am similar. Over the last year or so I just been brewing 4-5 recipes I like over and over. I have brewed yellow beer then amber beer then yellow beer then amber beer, ...

For yellow it’s mostly Pilsners. I am loving CAPs right now. I mix in a blonde ale occasionally. I like Diamond Lager and 34/70 yeast for these. I want to come up with a good Dortmunder.

For amber it’s APA, American Ambers, and bitters. I mix up the hops for variety.   I also vary yeast here. I have used BRY-97, MJ M44, Lallemand Kölsch, and MJ M36. I like all of these. I am using the new CALI by CellarScience right now.

This I what I’ve been doing lately, too. I’ve rotated Blonde, Golden, and Pale beers. Malts are subbed into a standardized grain bill (~95% base or base combo + ~5% C malt) to create style.  Hops are subbed in/out to create flavors.  Same yeast (Bry-97).  Same water profile.

The break in the cycle will probably be around Oct when I brew my annual Brown Ale For my Halloween Steak and Ale Chili.  I’ll probably just use the Pale grain bill and add some choc malt and adjust the water profile slightly.  We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:10:57 PM by BrewBama »
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »

Have you not heard of Noti Brown Ale?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »

Besides the Noti Brown already mentioned (just kicked a keg of it) the obvious recipe is Rye IPA.  That's where I started using it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 06:39:23 PM »

Besides the Noti Brown already mentioned (just kicked a keg of it) the obvious recipe is Rye IPA.  That's where I started using it.
Thumbs up for 1450 in rye IPA.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »

I have not, there are many styles i don't know of. i love all beer but only really brew/drink 6 styles stout,pilsner,IPA/pales, and a sour once a year and everything else flys over my radar
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 08:17:38 PM »

I have not, there are many styles i don't know of. i love all beer but only really brew/drink 6 styles stout,pilsner,IPA/pales, and a sour once a year and everything else flys over my radar

Here ya go...several suggestions

https://web.archive.org/web/20171105044104/http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NotiBrownAle

https://web.archive.org/web/20171105022607/http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/DCRyeIPA

https://web.archive.org/web/20171105022607/http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter

https://web.archive.org/web/20130702141618/http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WaldoLakeAmberAle

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 08:21:46 PM »
the dc rye looks like the one, appreciate it
Matty